R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe Help

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jse, Dec 28, 2013.

1. jse
    OP

jse Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    Hello guys, I got an R4I 3DS Gold Deluxe but I'm having issues with it, every game I try will work for 5 or 10 minutes then the system will crash and I have to hold the power button to reset it and try again, the SD card I am using is a 8gb Sandisk and is a couple of years old but works fine for everything else I use it on. When I run the Diagnostic test everything passes except the FPGA test which fails. Do you think it's an issue with the SD card or the R4i Flash card? I'm not sure if I should buy a new SD card or just cut my losses and buy a Gateway, If I need a new SD card do you have any recommendations?

thanks in advance for any help
    jse

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The card diagnostics are for the GW so that they won't wotk with the R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe. Maybe you want to try the new 3.1 firmware first before you buy anything new.

3. Wacko`

Wacko` Advanced Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    I just got my R4i Gold Deluxe and I'm having games freeze as well. I think the problem is using a slow micro SD. I've tried it with an old 2GB one, which seems to lock up faster than a newer (but still fairly old) 4GB one. I hope a recent class 10 card fixes this problem. The only other thing I can imagine is a bad contact in the microsd slot. Anyone else experienced this?

4. hiron

hiron GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2008
    I had this problem too with monster hunter 3. It was a bad microsd card. I swapped the card and had no problem since. Lost a few good saves because of the bad card.

5. Ickstar009

Ickstar009 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2009
    United States
    Ok. I just recently bought a 3ds and an r4i gold flashcard. I uploaded all the files and got the flashcard to work and play roms with extensions .ds

Now the problem i am having are playing the roms that have the .3ds extensions? Am I missing something?

I apologize if this is a repetitive question, but I have been out of the loop for a while in regards to roms, etc!

Thanks!

6. aXXo

aXXo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    The r4i gold flashcart can only play DS games, whereas you need to buy a r4i gold deluxe flashcart to play 3DS games. The deluxe version comes with 2 cards and looks like this: http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/R4i-Gold-3DS-Deluxe-Edition-USA/CANADA.html

7. Wacko`

Wacko` Advanced Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    I've just tried my cart with a class 10 32GB microsd and the game (Mario 3D Land) keeps freezing, even with firmware 3.1. Maybe it's a bad contact with the microsd? How firm do you push the sd card in?

8. hiron

hiron GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2008
    Do you get an error or it just freeze the screen with artifacts? I get this message when using the bad microSD card:
    "An error has occured. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com."

If your game just freezes than it is likely not the same problem as mine. I push my card pretty firm in.

9. Wacko`

Wacko` Advanced Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    Nope, the game just freezes. Sometimes directly after launch. Once I've had the music cut out and the ROM'd freeze a couple of minutes later. I'm beginning to think it's actually a contact issue of the R4i itself, not the microsd card. I've noticed that the shell of my R4i is a little loose, as if I could easily pry it open. Maybe I should try the Acekard paper trick.

10. hiron

hiron GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2008
    Have you tried an official game? Maybe the 3DS itself is the problem?

11. Wacko`

Wacko` Advanced Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    Official games are working fine. I tried the paper trick, doesn't seem to help. Maybe my cart is faulty? The strange thing is, it gets detected without any problems. It just crashes within a minute - ten minutes like OP said.

12. kiozio

kiozio Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2013
    Try ”Panasonic SD Formatter” before writing ROM and run the Diagnostic test again. I had same problem just like these guys here.
    after that, My R4i card very stable and never crushed/freeze. Don't use Windows's Formatter.

13. Bap65

Bap65 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2007
    France
    Hello,
    Your R4i white cadridge is probably defective. A change of this one with your retailer will certainly fix this.
    Got the same problem here (and a lot of people experienced it too), Gateway/R4iDeluxe in similar ways. You can refer on this thread for example:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-crashes-when-game-starts.353444/
    Have a nice day.

[EDIT] Make sure to try with differents speed µSDCards and differents games. If still crashing, then the R4i card is defective.

14. Wacko`

Wacko` Advanced Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Netherlands
    I've tried formatting my microSD cards with panasonic SD formatter, and also tried using a sandisk brand microsd-usb adapter instead of the microsd into sd adapter(into computer SD slot) I was using to write the roms. It got my hopes up, as I was able to play for a good few minutes but eventually the game still crashed.

I've passed the diagnostics test, all was OK except the first one (which I think is supposed to happen on R4i Gold Deluxe). My 3DS XL crashed when trying to boot R4i Gold Mode from the menu, funnily enough. Normally I don't hold L while doing the profile exploit but I don't think it's supposed to crash.

Turns out that the class 10 card I tried is actually a class 6 (I misremembered), so maybe I should try a class 10 card before sending my unit back? Sadly I'm not very hopeful that this thing will work without freezing. Saving seems to work fine though, as long as the game doesn't crash before it gets the chance to save.

My 3DS XL is on 4.3, maybe I should try and update it to 4.5 through an original cart? Are there any known 4.3 compatability problems?

Edit: Paying closer attention, when a crash occurs ingame it always seems to start with the dissapearance of the music. Once the music dissapears, the game will crash at the next 'scene change' (when it has to load something, I think).

15. jse
    OP

jse Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    Hey all, OP here just thought I would give an update
    I bought two new SD cards
    16GB Samsung Plus Class 10 UHS-I Micro SDHC
    32GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 Micro SDHC

Both these cards along with my original all freeze :(
    I then ordered a Gateway and all these SD cards work fine with it
    So the issue is defiantly the R4I 3DS Gold Deluxe Card
    I sent an email to the retailer I got it from asking to return it for a
    refund but haven't heard anything back from them yet. So if anyone
    else has this issue it's the R4I that is at fault.