R4DS freezing craze

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Pamela, Oct 22, 2008.

Oct 22, 2008

R4DS freezing craze by Pamela at 7:34 AM (1,784 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Pamela
    OP

Newcomer Pamela Advanced Member

United States
    I bought a replacement R4DS for the one I lost. I didn't check the forums before I did, and after the first week of using it I read the forums only to see that there will no longer be software updates for this card and it was non returnable. (If this has changed please let me know). I used it for a month and then every game I play will freeze after about half hour. This happens with every game, but there are rare times when this doesn't happen. Is there a certain hardware problem or bug with the R4DS that this is a known issue with? I have been considering the CyclosDS because it's been very annoying just cutting my games off especially if I didn't just save. I really liked my R4DS but if I bought a dud and there are no more software updates the replacement for this broken one will be the CyclosDS. Thanks!

2. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    It is true. The R4 receives no more updates anymore. Though I can't say anything about your freezing problems, I can definitely recommend a CycloDS if money is not an issue. Features match the SCDSOne (almost) but is much easier for noobs.

3. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    You won't know then pamela that the R4 the official R4 that is no longer been made and the chances are its a fake and thats probably the problem with freezing!

Did you try to update your card with the latest firmware 1.18 ? R4 firmware link

To check if its a fake or not can you tell us what it says on the front of your R4? it should have R4 at the middle left and underneith " Revolution for DS " then under that (NDSL/NDS).

It may be a little different but shouldn,t have SCHC or III or any of that carbage on it, also that firmware link above is for the official card so shouldn't work on any fake!
    Check this page on GBATemp for comparisment: link

If you DO buy another card then as above suggested either the cyclo / SCS1 sdhc / Eddge(a cyclods copy but very good).

paul

4. Pamela
    OP

United States
    I have the 1.18 software. The card says R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS). I bought it from realhotstuff about a month and a half ago. I thought it was my microsd card at first because when I would switch it into my blackberry to play videos on the go the videos would freeze up sometimes. I had a 2gb Kingston card then. I bought a new card, a 2gb sandisk and used it in the ds. I noticed it loaded games a bit faster, but I was playing the new Castlevania game and it froze during the game, and when I restarted the DS the Nintendo splash screen that comes on before the R4DS kicked in froze and only NIN flashed onto the screen before it froze. So I was like it's not the card I see [​IMG] I wasn't sure if it was my DS that was broken. I have had it for a year but I have kept the R4DS inside the DS 95% of the time so I don't think I could have worn out the connectors by pushing a game in and out too much so I only could assume it was the R4DS itself.

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    my guess is your r4 from rhs is a clone and you don't know it. i picked one up also about a month and a half ago and they shipped me a clone. i was the first to complain to them and they offered me a full refund with a "we were told they were real" statement. please look here and here for images i posted. you can see the clone r4 they sent me is legit down to the box, wrist strap, and included reader. but the kit itself contained a clone pcb with a chip sticking out. if you do indeed have a clone the official firmware may or may not work on it. and that would explain the freezing issue you are having. you need to open the case up and verify that your r4 is real at this point. if it isn't you might have better luck with ysmenu or one of the clone kit decrypted r4 firmwares. if the kit isn't working, returnable or not, they sold you a bad product. they need to honor the fact that its faulty, and accept a return. if you paid with paypal you can file for a refund through the paypal appeal process. i've been running an ebay business for the past 3 months and i can tell you paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer even when the buyer is incorrect or full of lies.

goodluck,
    -another world

6. Pamela
    OP

United States
    My R4DS looks exactly like the pictures I saw posted, box and all. I'm a bit wary about opening it up in case I break it. I will try the YSMenu first to see if that solves my problem and if it doesn't then I will have to try to open it and if it is a fake I will definitely contact RHS. Thank you!

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Another option that might work is to decrypt the _DS_MENU.DAT file using R4crypt. That SHOULD allow the official firmware to work on a fake R4, which it sounds like you MIGHT have. Of course, there's aways the possibility that your R4 is just defective.....maybe try various other firmwares from some of the fakes R4 sites.

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    to add on, if you want help telling if your r4 is fake please ask! it is held together by a tiny screw, you really can't damage anything by taking it apart.

goodluck!
    -another world

9. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    If you bought from RHS drop them a inquiry ticket or whatever it is ask if you can return it as you are not happy .. they are pretty good with returns .. you can also contact them via SCDEV.ORG forum (they are our sponsors and provide live feedback on the forum [​IMG] )

If its only about a month or so old then I cannot see a problem with a return [​IMG]