Hacking R4 Upgrade Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)

Nano07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I have a DS-Lite and this card "R4 Upgrade Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)" that I bought from www.r4i-SDHC.com

I have put the firmware that they have in their website (R4i English v1.19b) but I really don't like it.

Also, when I bought this card I was very new to the DS and didn't do much research, so I'm not sure if I bought a good one or if there is another card that can host a better menu than this one.

I've been reading forums for a little while now, but because there seems to be many cards type floating around and SO many tutorials, I'm starting to feel that the more info I read the more confused I'm getting.

I've read a bit about YSMENU and wanted to try it but I could never get it working loading at boot.

Can someone let me know what is the best menu (in terms of look and feel and also compatibility with games) that I can install in this card.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.

Nano07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ok. I'll do a bit of research on that, but that is my whole point. I don't know about all the different cards that are around, and their difference.

So, what you are saying is that they all use the same menu, and the only difference is that some get a kernel update more often than others?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Menus are basically all the same concept but just different graphics ext..

Some cards are no longer updated so the kernel will not play newly released games.

The R4 card you bought is pretty decent for being a clone and it was just updated on 3.30.2010 so it could play the latest games like the new wario ware and pokemon games.A lot of the R4 clone cards can not play these games unless they use some other firmware(YSMenu) other then their original ones and some of the R4 clones can't even run YSMENU.

I just bought a R4isdhc clone card from r4isdhc.com and the only firmware that works for it is its own which will not play any of the new games.So Instead of using that i ordered one from r4i-sdhc.com instead since its firmware is getting updated regularly it seems.

Already put the first r4 clone i bought on craigslist so it shouldnt be long before its gone.

EDIT: I normally use a cyclods card and its awesome but i bought the R4 since i now have two ds lites in my house and didn't feel like swapping the card between the two when someone wants to play.Also didn't feel like spending the $50 on another cyclods so i went with the cheaper R4 knockoff for $15

Nano07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
icpmattj said:
Menus are basically all the same concept but just different graphics ext..

Some cards are no longer updated so the kernel will not play newly released games.

The R4 card you bought is pretty decent for being a clone and it was just updated on 3.30.2010 so it could play the latest games like the new wario ware and pokemon games.A lot of the R4 clone cards can not play these games unless they use some other firmware(YSMenu) other then their original ones and some of the R4 clones can't even run YSMENU.

I just bought a R4isdhc clone card from r4isdhc.com and the only firmware that works for it is its own which will not play any of the new games.So Instead of using that i ordered one from r4i-sdhc.com instead since its firmware is getting updated regularly it seems.

Already put the first r4 clone i bought on craigslist so it shouldnt be long before its gone.

EDIT: I normally use a cyclods card and its awesome but i bought the R4 since i now have two ds lites in my house and didn't feel like swapping the card between the two when someone wants to play.Also didn't feel like spending the $50 on another cyclods so i went with the cheaper R4 knockoff for $15

Thanks so much for your response icpmattj. I have things a bit more clear now.

So, Do you think that it is worth trying to get YSMENU to work on this card or should I use the latest update that came out on 3.30.2010?

bennyroger

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For a clone its not bad, as this cards seems to have an active team to update this card. There is only 1 other R4 branded card that gets regular updates and that is www.r4rts.com
But I agree with you on the menus of the R4 clones, doesn't look pretty in my eyes
smile.gif

Nano07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
bennyroger said:
For a clone its not bad, as this cards seems to have an active team to update this card. There is only 1 other R4 branded card that gets regular updates and that is www.r4rts.com
But I agree with you on the menus of the R4 clones, doesn't look pretty in my eyes
smile.gif

yeh, they look terrible. Do you know if I can install any other menu than the official for this card? I've tried with YSMENU but couldn't make it work.
frown.gif

bennyroger

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I can test for you when the easter is over, I borrowed that card to my brothers step kids before easter along with an old DS , guess it could work with adjusted dstt menu as it seems like this card has elements of dstt hardware.

Nano07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
bennyroger said:
I can test for you when the easter is over, I borrowed that card to my brothers step kids before easter along with an old DS , guess it could work with adjusted dstt menu as it seems like this card has elements of dstt hardware.

Great! Thanks Bennyroger!
smile.gif

bennyroger

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Had a look now, I can not alter the files to make it boot ttmenu, sorry, it does not seem like this card is 100% dstt compatible.

bennyroger

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
and its not like the other ripoff clones hardware wise either.....
Maybe the hardware is a hybrid dstt/acekard? Or something else.........

Nano07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
BobTheJoeBob said:
Why not get custom skins for your r4? or do you mean a completely different layout?

Yes, I was thinking of a different layout.

Now, scrolling through games is a pain. Each time I go down a row, the icon scrolls from right to left, it's horrible

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson