Homebrew R4 Stage2 TWL Flashcart Launcher(and perhaps other cards soon™)....

Link_of_Hyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unknown cart? Sounds like a hardware problem. Perhaps bricked/dead cart? It's supposed to have a unique id followed by "TWL". Even original R4 has a valid id in devmenu. Unknown Cart means it failed to init correctly and could not read the rom header.
I'm having the same issue mine says unknown card it worked previously with the patch TWL but so isn't working without the patch TWL and AuReiNand.

EDIT: I was able to get it to come up as 4153d41 TWL Card in the dev menu but so far still no boot. It shows up as the blank card in the normal slot but both the Wood r4 launcher and the regular card go to the black screen with text when I try to use them. It worked previously and the card works on my DS Lite. I fixed this little spring in the microSD Card slot so hopefully it works better now.

EDIT2: I'm apparently retarded and missed this step on the AuReiNand OP "To enable AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM patching, just also copy the firmware_agb.bin and firmware_twl.bin files for your console from the FIRMs.7z." It works now.

Last edited by Link_of_Hyrule,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm on rxtools 3.0 beta 2, and I'm trying to use my original r4 with this, wood r4 launcher and the r4 evolution for ds launcher, and neither are working. Each look like they try to boot the card, but then say that an error has occurred and the power needs to be turned off in Sysnand and Emunand

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
What console are you using? If it's a n3DS or 2DS, you may have contact issues. Most original R4s are using cheap PCB designs and the contact pins are a bit too short. It seems the design of the slot of the n3DS and 2DS are a bit different then the original 3DS. Of coarse the R4 came out when the DS/DS Lite was still a thing. So it's not too surprising to see issues crop up on consoles that came out nearly a decade after the R4 was first introduced. :P

Push in the cartridge past the click and hold it there. Then try WoodR4 again. if it works then, it's a contact issue with the slot. The most you can do about that is insert a slip of paper in between the cartridge and the slot to help keep it from popping out too far.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, woodr4 is launching, but everything is blank, and nothing is showing. I put a Digimon Dusk rom on the root of the sd, formatted to fat16, and in a folder labeled "Games". i'm using wood v 1.62, do i need subfolders with the games, or do i need to install or put something else on my sd? I switched to aureinand as well (o3dsxl)

Last edited by Dr Orochi _Autism PH.D.,

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So, woodr4 is launching, but everything is blank, and nothing is showing. I put a Digimon Dusk rom on the root of the sd, formatted to fat16, and in a folder labeled "Games". i'm using wood v 1.62, do i need subfolders with the games, or do i need to install or put something else on my sd? I switched to aureinand as well.
If it doesn't show anything besides the menu and a white screen, then it means that it isn't detecting your r4 (or it is incompatible). Try ejecting the r4 and opening the launcher without it and you'll see that it does the same.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't show anything besides the menu and a white screen, then it means that it isn't detecting your r4 (or it is incompatible). Try ejecting the r4 and opening the launcher without it and you'll see that it does the same.
Oh yeah, I removed the cart and it shows nothing, I tore the sticker off a while ago, so I think my cart is an r4v2 or some clone of it

arabtm

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Has anyone tried to get this to work with the M3 DS Simply?

EDIT: NVM got it to work. New question is there a way to for the top screen to stretch? Also is there a hot key in R4 wood to exit out of DS games back to the DS Game selection menu?

Hi. Could you kindly explain how did you manage to make M3 DS Simply to work? You're using 3DS I hope?
thanks.

I bought an R4 clone last week, and when I somehow bricked the cart, by messing arround with it's kernel. So, I hope I can reuse my M3DS simply, but not sure which firmware I should use now. I want to avoid any bricking again :)

Last edited by arabtm,

Link_of_Hyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Could you kindly explain how did you manage to make M3 DS Simply to work? You're using 3DS I hope?
thanks.

So I'm pretty sure I got the wood r4 http://www.r4wood.com/pages/wood-r4-kernel.html from here which goes on the actual M3 Simply (you should backup your old stuff however). After that install the wood R4 cia from the OP of this thread be sure to install it on both the sysnand and emunand. Make sure if you're using AuReiNAND to uninstall the patched AGB and TWL CIA firms and install the originals back in and follow this step from the AuReiNand thread "To enable AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM patching, just also copy the firmware_agb.bin and firmware_twl.bin files for your console from the FIRMs.7z." My card was kind of finicky so I had to actually unscrew it and screw it back together and stick it in my DS Lite to test it and such but I think that's really all I did to get it working.

Last edited by Link_of_Hyrule,
Reactions: arabtm

arabtm

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So I'm pretty sure I got the wood r4 http://www.r4wood.com/pages/wood-r4-kernel.html from here which goes on the actual M3 Simply (you should backup your old stuff however). After that install the wood R4 cia from the OP of this thread be sure to install it on both the sysnand and emunand. Make sure if you're using AuReiNAND to uninstall the patched AGB and TWL CIA firms and install the originals back in and follow this step from the AuReiNand thread "To enable AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM patching, just also copy the firmware_agb.bin and firmware_twl.bin files for your console from the FIRMs.7z." My card was kind of finicky so I had to actually unscrew it and screw it back together and stick it in my DS Lite to test it and such but I think that's really all I did to get it working.

thanks for the swift reply! I'll try to use wood kernel as you advised.
I'm using A9LH Sysnand Cakes CFW N3DSXLUS, so I guess it measn I need to patch the TWL_FIRM too?
I've been thinking of changing to ARN CFW due to this patching

Link_of_Hyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the swift reply! I'll try to use wood kernel as you advised.
I'm using A9LH Sysnand Cakes CFW N3DSXLUS, so I guess it measn I need to patch the TWL_FIRM too?
I've been thinking of changing to ARN CFW due to this patching
IDK what advantages cakes has but the thing I like about AuReiNAND is that (with a few exceptions) after the first install updating to the new version is literally replacing one file and that's it.

arabtm

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
IDK what advantages cakes has but the thing I like about AuReiNAND is that (with a few exceptions) after the first install updating to the new version is literally replacing one file and that's it.

I see. well, I'm using Cakes just because I was following the A9LH tutorial at that time, but these CFWs are progressing so fast now :)
I'll check how to move to ARN from Cakes.

Link_of_Hyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. well, I'm using Cakes just because I was following the A9LH tutorial at that time, but these CFWs are progressing so fast now :)
I'll check how to move to ARN from Cakes.
Literally all you do is copy the arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of your sd card from the AuReiNAND release zip with the aurei folder if you have any a9lh payloads put them in the payloads folder labeled the button you want to use to launch them at boot. Copy the proper firms from the firms.7z file and I'm pretty sure that's it. When you want to update just update the arm9loaderhax.bin file you don't need to do anything with any of the other files unless the firms get updated in which case I'm sure they'll post and say we need to update those.

arabtm

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Literally all you do is copy the arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of your sd card from the AuReiNAND release zip with the aurei folder if you have any a9lh payloads put them in the payloads folder labeled the button you want to use to launch them at boot. Copy the proper firms from the firms.7z file and I'm pretty sure that's it. When you want to update just update the arm9loaderhax.bin file you don't need to do anything with any of the other files unless the firms get updated in which case I'm sure they'll post and say we need to update those.

I see. I do have one concern though. I updated my A9LH with arm9select, so I'm not using CTRBootmanager anymore. I heard arm9select doesn't work properly with ARN, since ARN also have it's own screen_init mechanism? or am I just talking rubbish? :)
I'm just a bit worried modifying again my A9LH could cause any bricking.

Link_of_Hyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. I do have one concern though. I updated my A9LH with arm9select, so I'm not using CTRBootmanager anymore. I heard arm9select doesn't work properly with ARN, since ARN also have it's own screen_init mechanism? or am I just talking rubbish? :)
I'm just a bit worried modifying again my A9LH could cause any bricking.
with AuReiNAND you don't need any kind of payload selector because it has it built in with the payloads. Is there a thread I can look at the arm9select at?

arabtm

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
with AuReiNAND you don't need any kind of payload selector because it has it built in with the payloads. Is there a thread I can look at the arm9select at?

I used from here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9select-my-own-take-on-a-a9lh-file-select.417803/page-7

here's the quote from Apache Thunder on the same page, that makes me hesitant to change to ARN for now. I don't know yet how to deal with this.

@FIX94:

"Doing screen init but leaving backlight at 0x0 is a non-standard environment. The proper way for Fix94 would be to NOT do screen init in stage2 and doing it fully from inside Arm9Select. This way detection wouldn't be borked. This is not an issue with Aurei itself."

This is a quote from Aurora. Your version of A9L is causing issues with Aureinand now. (hangs if booted without config file). Perhaps moving screen init into Arm9Select would be better?

Link_of_Hyrule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: