R4 SDHC help

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by DethDonald, May 16, 2010.

May 16, 2010

R4 SDHC help by DethDonald at 10:53 PM (1,872 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. DethDonald
    OP

Newcomer DethDonald Member

United States
    Hello, I am new to this and need some help. I just bought a R4 SDHC for pretty cheap, it was a bit of an impulse buy. But now I'm looking at all the firmware that I can use, what I didn't realize was how limited I am. I wanted to use Wood but then I learned that the R4 SDHC was a clone and couldn't run this (right?). Then I read some conflicted messages about if I could use YSmenu. So what I'm asking is what firmware should I use, where to get it, and if there are any guides that describe how to install/use it.

Thanks guys, hopefully this isn't a common question that gets asked every few days.

2. azntiger

Member azntiger GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yup your right you cant use wood with R4 SDHC

3. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Wood is a no go, but you can use YS menu.

4. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    Is there a guide somewhere on how to set it up for R4 SDHC?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions.

Sorry for the double post but this claims that Wood does work on R4 SDHC http://gbatemp.net/t221023-wood-r4-for-clones? . Theres so many damn contradictions on this site, now you understand why I'm so confused. Can someone confirm that Wood does or doesn't work and if this is the best choice for my card.

5. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Wood doesn't work for clones at the moment. The Wood for Clones is a project that's in development.

6. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    So technicaly it works but is in an early stage? I think I understand now but I must ask again, what firmware is suggested for me to use YSMenu or this Wood for clones project.

7. hundshamer

Member hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    What's the web adress on the cart/box. Depending on which one it is there are some decent clones that are still updated for newer games.

8. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    I actually don't have it yet, I purchased it from Kickgaming if that says anything.

9. magicksun

Member magicksun GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    for we who have the r4sdhc our only hope is ysmenu , the original filmware (if you have r4sdhc.) is semidead =(

10. KevFan

Member KevFan GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
  11. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    Alright I'm back, with my R4 SDHC in my hands. I have set up YSMenu using R4YSauto, I believe I did it right because the set-up never gave me any errors. But now of course my DS is giving me an error message "Please put "loader.xxx" file into SD card". I actually haven't tried the files from the card makers site yet because it's a whopping 49MB (I'm on Dial-up by the way).

Remember to take it easy on my soft newbie exo-skeleton. [​IMG]

Update: Now downloading a2h's generator. If that doesn't help I'm going to try formating my card and starting from scratch.
    Update 2: Formated and trying a2h's generator again. I currently still get the loader.xxx error. If it doesn't work this time I guess ill have to download the firmware from the site provided by the box. *sigh*

12. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    It's because of the flashcart. Its looking for that file to load the firmware. I have no idea which clone you have, but you could try renaming ysmenu.nds to the loader.xxx (or maybe encrypt it with R4denc first and then rename it...either way, try out both...though I'm pretty sure it isn't .xxx for the format). You could also try downloading the firmware (might take you a while, but if it works then all for the better right?) and then running the ysmenu.nds as a homebrew (might need to dldi patch it though).

13. DethDonald
    OP

United States
    3 Hours of downloading but it worked. Sadly it's not YSMenu, but it seams to be fairly up to date. Thanks Jurassic, for the advice, ill try out all your suggestions at a later time.

14. magicksun

Member magicksun GBAtemp Fan

Argentina
    if you have a latest filware try to erase the archives of the folder _sistem_ and leave the folders of that folder , only erase the archives , and put the ysauto , and work! i say u this if you have r4sdhc.com oohhh and the filmware have a ysmenu named pandora , erase that too ! luck!