Hacking R4 PRO!WTF

Orillian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Votkrath said:
There are R4 Deluxe and R4 Ultimate as well.

Don't have an Ackard to test with, but the R4 Deluxe v1.20 kernel does not work on the real R4. I've not had time to check to much out but it uses a _DS_MENU.DAT file that is 2591KB Vs the 1377KB version that the real 1.18 uses. And it uses a 1KB _DS_MENU.INI file in place of the _DS_MENU.SYS file that my 1.18 uses and that has a file size of 4096KB

The 1.20 deluxe kernel hangs at the loading screen on a real R4. Gonna run it through a hex editor later.

BTW: is there a way to encrypt the .DAT file? I read somewhere that the real R4 uses an encrypted file while most clones do not.

O.

Orillian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, new update...tried the R4 III v 3.06 files, used Yasu's encrypter and encrypted the Menu.dat file. it loads onto the R4, but a screen pops up across the front of the menu buttons on the R4 saying "This is a fake!!" and I was unable to remove the screen to allow me to progress any further. it even loads my default skin.
smile.gif

Update: tried the R4 Deluxe v1.20 files, encrypted the menu.dat and it comes up and runs on the real R4 as a v1.20 firmware, can't honestly tell the difference if there is any from play around. Anyone know of a game that does NOT work on the real R4 1.18 firmware that I can use to test this out with????

Update#2: R4 Pro Files once encrypted get past the load screen but hang at a black screen.

Gonna play around with the R4 III files a bit more when I have some time, see if I can figure out a way past that " this is a Fake!!" notification.

O.

Orillian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While Tropicana is being grumpy. A slightly nicer reply would be to say, it's hard to tell from looking at the limited information on the site to say for sure, BUT they are offering a firmware version for the R4 that IS fake. There is no official v1.19 for the real R4. I'll take a look at the files in a bit and let you know if they are encrypted or not. That will tell us whether they are meant to be played on a real R4 or not. I have yet to see or hear of an R4 clone that uses the encryption. If they are the real 1.18 and the fake R4 1.19 then they should be encrypted and playable on a real R4.
smile.gif

As for getting an R4... I'd buy another one if I broke the one I have. I have a CycloDS, a SCDS1 and the R4, the R4 is in my machine the most. The R4 is simple and it does not have all the extras or the crappy SC menu system that is a serious pain to adjust. Just because there ARE a lot of clones/fakes and the R4 is no longer being officially supported and due to the fact that there are sooooo many other carts out there a lot of the kids around here get all retarded about the R4 and act like it has some kind of nasty virus. when the simple answer is....it's just not cool to own an R4 anymore. So the defacto short answer around here for anyone asking about the R4 is, "it teh suck!"

Ignore the children.
smile.gif

If you get an R4 and if it's a real R4 it is still a good cart that works with MOST games out of the box. The FEW games that have issues have so far been fixed with small patches by R4 users. I've got a LOT of games and I've yet to find one that has crashing issues and Crono Trigger's Security feature was bypassed with a quick cheat code making all the games I have playable on my R4. So, R4 still a serviceable cart, if it's your only option...if you don't' like all the fancy frills and gimmicky stuff, or if you can find it at a killer price. get the R4 and enjoy it regardless.

when I start to have major issues with my R4 and games, then I'll start telling people to be careful.

This on the other hand is a clone.
smile.gif

O.

Couugghhing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thank you.

I'm new to this emulator stuff. I hope it's not the fake because that means I have to jump through more hoops. I really want to learn all this stuff, but I've been going at this new concept (for me) for the past couple days.

Can you list some sites where I can buy, in your opinion, the best legit flash cart?

That link looks a lot like the one I just bought, so mine is probably a fake. ::SIGH::

AeroHex

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
dont buy it!
its a clone its got legit there are much better things out there to bang for your buck, if your looking for cheap & good get a acekard or dstt or something other then r4 in its name!

mi986

Trophies
Website
jacap.yuku.com
XP
Country
Too Late!
My sister already bought it from OzModChips.

We know that it is a fake, we want to test it out.

I am just curious about the Micro SD Reader.

Don't worry, i'm not a complete idiot
smile.gif

mi986

AeroHex

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
umm oz mod chips they sell stuff at i higher price then dx sure they take a long time to ship from dx but 50 backs for a clone BAH!

DokiDoki98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Support NDS and IDS games. Run IDS games on any version of DS.

I assume they mean DSi, NO SPECIFIC GAMES HAVE BEEN RELEASED YOU N00BS

Anyway, ANY VERSION OF DS, they are saying that that it means DSi, DSL, and NDS

ChaosAngel_92

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone!
So yeah, I was one of the "noobs" who buyed this out of a general piracy store.
I founded quite amaizing this r4 was around 40$, while the other ones I had found where around 80$.

But yeah this cart is pretty werid. Someone try to run "The World Ends With You". It will have the same problem that an AceKard has, it will froze after the first tutorial.
The "funny" thing is that if you try to fix it like you do with the AceKard you end up having the same problem. In fact, I haven't found any solution still for this problem on the r4pro.

I got excited knowing that the unique thing you needed to buy to hack the NDS was a little cartidge (PSP trauma, ever tried to hack one of those things? Probably the hardest of all my life) that I even bothered to find about the problems. My friend has an r4, but he didn't warn me (probably he didn't know) about all the pro,expert,megadeluxe, cookie r4 clones out there.

So I have some questions. Yes we all now that r4 shutted their doors, and therefore, all the clones will die, not having any firmware to rip-off.
Now for new games, i'll see what I do, probably just buy another cart more reaiable than a r4, but right now what I care is that I have an r4 pro and I want to use it for something, other than throwing it out of my window. I don't care about using it for homebrew, nor I want it for playing any media, photos, movies etc.
I just want it for playing games! thats all.

So my main question is. This cart is going to burn my DS lite?/Does someone has heard of any case this card burns the ds lite?

Thanks in advance, and merry late chirstmas.

Tboy182

Trophies
XP
Country
I've recently got an R4Pro (of course if I knew it was a clone I never would've got it).

Anyways it's been working fine for me and will most likely do nothing to your DS. Don't worry about it burning your ds or causing it to malfunction.

It may be a fake but it feels completely like an actual R4 (not that I wouldn't prefer the genuine version, though). The only difference is that the actual R4 is a much stronger build.

Btw, does anyone know how to get r4 skins working on the r4pro? It says on the site something about extracting "themeconvert.rar" and running "themeconvert.exe" but I can't find them anywhere! =(

fibbleg

Trophies
XP
Country
Tboy182 said:
I've recently got an R4Pro (of course if I knew it was a clone I never would've got it).

Anyways it's been working fine for me and will most likely do nothing to your DS. Don't worry about it burning your ds or causing it to malfunction.

It may be a fake but it feels completely like an actual R4 (not that I wouldn't prefer the genuine version, though). The only difference is that the actual R4 is a much stronger build.

Btw, does anyone know how to get r4 skins working on the r4pro? It says on the site something about extracting "themeconvert.rar" and running "themeconvert.exe" but I can't find them anywhere! =(
YOU HAVE 2 CONVERT THA SKIN TO 16-BIT BMP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?