R4 menu not available

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by capparella, May 29, 2011.

May 29, 2011

R4 menu not available by capparella at 5:11 AM (4,654 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. capparella
    OP

Newcomer capparella Member

United States
    DS lite with R4 V1.4.! www.r4i-sdhc.com , kingston micro 8gb , I had no problems with menu or several games 2 months ago, then the memory card fried and I finally got a new one. Uploaded the new kernals with all firmware and when the card is in the DS , top screen says Moonshell Ver 2.01+1 stable booting extension memory not found
    bottom screen japanese/chinese words Was ROM file of a correct DLDI patch started reformat media and try again please try with different media from another media function

Tried the paper/card trick between cartidge, blowing/sneezing on contacts, formatting memory card and reloading firmware/kernals, tried only loading moonshell 2.1 stablechildzwai edition along with r4.

Not sure what to try next. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    Try formatting your SD with Panasonic SD formatter. Then try redownloading, as you may have deleted/moved a file. Or better yet, try RetroGameFan's YsMenu updates.

3. capparella
    OP

United States
    I did the panasonic SD format then unzipped 25082-RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update v6.59, uploaded to SD. Now it goes to white screen with Menu? in red letters. Any additional files need to go in the SD?

4. molh394

Member molh394 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Did you follow the instructions in How to Install.txt?

5. capparella
    OP

United States
    I just followed the instructions for YSMenu to a T, and again got the white screen
    ?
    MENU

[​IMG]

What else should I try?

6. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    RGF update only works on the r4i-sdhc as a dual boot so you need to install the latest kernel for your card first, boot from that and then load the RGF card update.

7. capparella
    OP

United States

I downloaded r4i V1.38b from www.r4i-sdhc.com + fwup142.nds on to the newly formatted SD. Still same error -- top screen says Moonshell Ver 2.01+1 stable booting extension memory not found
    bottom screen japanese/chinese words Was ROM file of a correct DLDI patch started reformat media and try again please try with different media from another media function

Then I uploaded RetroGameFan Multi Cart v6.59, only the TTMenu folder and TTMenu.nds files onto the SD. still same error, crushed once again.

8. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Australia
    Your card might be broken. Also if your DSi is on 1.4.2 already you will need to update on an older DSi/Lite/Phat. Also some 1.4.1 cards can't be updated. (Try here to find details: http://gbatemp.net/t292554-r4i-sdhc-work-o...4-2?&st=75). (I've said this as you mentioned fwup142.nds)

9. capparella
    OP

United States
    How do you know if the DS is on 1.4.2? The DS is really old I doubt it. Any suggestions on the most reliable r4 card to use now?

10. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    To see what Dsi firmware you're on then go to the settings menu and look in the bottom right hand corner of the top screen.

Try any of the R4ids cards as one lot use Wood and the other uses AKAIO (both unofficial but still the best you can get). However personally if you want a good cheap card then you should get an AceKard 2i.

EDIT: IF you have a 1.4 R4i-SDHC card then you cannot update your card to work on 1.4.2.

11. molh394

Singapore
    Didn't he mention that he was using the DS Lite in his first post? I think he just downloaded the v1.4.2 update by accident.

As for the recurring error message: Looks like you somehow have a corrupt or outdated version of Moonshell. Try loading its most recent version, which can be found here: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=12830

Full list of instructions (compiled from other people's instructions too, I noticed we were giving so many instructions it was probably getting confusing [​IMG]):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

If that doesn't work I am not sure what to do anymore tell us what error message/error you have received this time, and I guess we'll figure something out again.

....If you want to get a new cart, though, your best bet is an acekard 2i. It's cheap, very reliable, can play the latest games and is frequently updated.

12. capparella
    OP

United States
    I followed the steps to a T , when I put the card in the DSlite, I new screen came on asking me to select a language. I selected ENG and hit A. Then the top screen was blue with ver 2.10 for child zwai moonshell ver 2.10 for child zwai booting... extension memory not found. bottom screen This is an optimization version for high quality sound. this is recommened to use it with 'DSi/DSiLL' or 'NDS/DSLite + ROMEO 2' this is slower than the stable version. when A button is pushed it skips. when L+R+A button is pushed, after next time, this screen is not displayed. So Close it feels like. [​IMG]

13. molh394

Singapore
    Wait, so does it work or not?

Nevermind, I think I have found better instructions!
    1. Delete everything except "201008312320_moonshell210childzwai", your ROMs/saves and retro's TTMenu.

2. Backup, format, put everything in your microSD again (as per standard routine).

3. Download the correct kernel again! Because it just got updated! [​IMG]
    Download and put everything into the root of your microSD as usual.

4. Try to run it again this time. Might work now!

5. If it doesn't work, run "set up.exe", which can be found inside "201008312320_moonshell210childzwai", on your DS itself instead of when your microSD is in the computer.

Setup moonshell 2.10 using the proper set up file, follow its instructions, and then try again. Should work this time!

EDIT: Struck off inaccurate instructions. Sorry for the confusion. Run the setup.exe from your PC on your microSD instead.

14. capparella
    OP

United States

Ok, so here it s what I did, deleted R4 data file, R4i Menu folder, moonshel2 folder. I kept Moonshell210childzwai, the .exe (said 7z in black/white) and the folder, plus both the TTmenu .nds and the folder and backed those up. Formatted the SD, then uploaded the TTMenu +Moonshell's . I then unzipped r4i V1.39 into the SD. When I tried it on the DS, I saw a new screen with 2 animated figures on it for like 2 seconds, then it went back to the same error message as before. How can I run the "set up.exe" from the DS when this is what happens everytime I turn it on?

15. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Australia
    You can't run .exe files on the Ds at all, you must mean .nds. Also maybe try the new 1.39b firmware on the site.

16. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    You are supposed to run the .exe from the PC to install moonshell onto your card. Try googleing for Moonshell 2.10 stable and install that rather than the childzwai as I always found that that particular file was a pain in the arse to install.

17. molh394

Singapore
    Post duly edited to strike off inaccurate instructions. Apologies to all, and thanks for pointing it out so quickly. >.<

Once you set up 2.10 properly it should probably fix your moonshell-related error. If you prefer the "stable", non-Child Zwai edition you can download it here: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=9730

18. capparella
    OP

United States

I was trying to find out how to do :
    5. If it doesn't work, run "set up.exe", which can be found inside "201008312320_moonshell210childzwai", on your DS itself instead of when your microSD is in the computer

from the previous post from mohl394. That was the new firmware I downloaded, 1.39 from R4i-sdhc.com

19. capparella
    OP

United States
    I was asking about the line from mohl394 :
    5. If it doesn't work, run "set up.exe", which can be found inside "201008312320_moonshell210childzwai", on your DS itself instead of when your microSD is in the computer.

It looks like I was supposed to run an .exe from the DS?
    The firmware I downloaded was the new 1.39b from r4i-sdhc.com

20. capparella
    OP

United States
    sorry missed page 2 here. I went back and reformatted the SD, then transferred over the TTMenu.nds and TTMenu folder to the SD. I then unzipped the R4i V1.39b English that I got from the R4i-sdhc.com website directly to the root of the SD card. I then downloaded Moonshell 2.10 stable (from filetrip), the instructions were to execute 'setup.exe' and start 'moonshl2.nds' . I did the execute and it dumped the files onto the SD. I put the SD into the DS and booted. It brought up the new menu, and then it asked for the language to select, I selected english and then it went to blue screen on top Moonshell Ver 2.10 stable booting... Extension memory was not found. Bottom screen - something new!
    Moonshell Ver 2.10 stable
    Feb 16 2010 13:33:17 GMT +09:00
    ARM RVCT3.1 [Build 794]

Quick Disk Check initiated

Checking for duplicate clusters and fragments
    Checking FAT type
    Performing disk read/write test

Quick Diskcheck succesfully completed

Still stuck. [​IMG]