R4 iii Upgrade not powering up

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by andowhy, Mar 14, 2010.

Mar 14, 2010
  1. andowhy
    OP

Newcomer andowhy Newbie

Australia
    Hi All,

I have been using an r4 iii upgrade for the past week with no issues, on two seperate ds lites, with a 1gb sd card and an 8gb sdhc cards. Today I was playign IL Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (for the first time) was halfway through the first tutorial, and the DS lost power and would boot up. I assumed the battery was flat so plugged it on charge, and went and grabbed the other DS.

Plugged the r4 in and it wouldnt boot up, the green light flicked for a second then powered down. I tried booting it up without a game, would get to the main menu, would play retail carts. But whenever the r4 was plugged in there would be no power at all.

I went back to the first DS (which I took off charge so was not plugged into AC mains) - booted up to ds menu fine, plugged in r4, powered down and wouldnt power back up (even after taking out the r4 cart). I had to plug the DS back into the AC mains for it to power up. I took out the AC plug and it shows a fully charged DS (after mere minutes on charge).

Im guessing something has screwed up on the r4 cart itself as I tested both sd and sdhc cards with no luck, I tried reformatting the card and reloading the original 3.08 kernel software but still nothing.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before or if it means the r4 has died or if there is something I can do the get it working again? I've only had the cart a week!

Thanks,
    andowhy

2. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    If your DS shuts down when you insert your R4, STOP USING IT.

Your R4 is very very certainly faulty...

If you continue it might blown your DS fuses, and the reparation is IMO much harder than getting a new flashcart.

3. andowhy
    OP

Newcomer andowhy Newbie

Australia
    Thanks,

I got a second cart today and this works fine, so im going to throw the other one out. I am an old hand at emulation, mame, wii modding etc but have only broached the DS in the past couple of weeks so was wondering if there are any protocols i should be following when using these carts? ie, are they ok to use in different DS', with different sd cards? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? or is it just a case of bad luck with getting a faulty cart?