Hacking R4 DSI Problem

stigwil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Around nine years ago my dad gave me an R4 card with my DSI XL, and obviously it doesn't work now. I tried updating the DSI hoping that would somehow fix it but when that didn't work I did a lot of searching the internet and now understand what a timebomb is and also that updating was stupid. I know very little about firmware and do not even own a micro SD reader or anything of the sort. I'm not sure if it's relevant but the micro SD is a PNY Technologies 2GB microSD and it had lots of games I was hoping to play again. If I bought a newer R4 card and simply put the micro SD card I already own into it would it work with my DSI? If not are there any other solutions that wouldn't be too difficult? I'm good with computers but I'm very uneducated in this kind of stuff so I'm hoping there's a solution that doesn't require having to buy a micro SD reader and other stuff and completely learning the process of making it work from step one. Any advice would be very helpful.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never update a DSi (if you do not want to redownload purchased DSiWare from the defunct shop. Pretty much only thing this does is blocking flashcarts.

A good alternative to using an R4 is TWilight Menu++. Consider installing custom firmware on your DSi and running your DS games from the console SD.
https://dsi.cfw.guide/

Another SD flashcart is not likely to use the same kernel software as you present one. Please upload a picture of your R4 if possible. You will need a possibility to write to micro-SD with a PC (or maybe an Android phone) in order to do anything with it.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, , Reason: mistake corrected
Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.