Hacking R4 bundles usb reader

Winner6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i have bought a r4 with a microsd usb reader. The connectors for the sd card on the reader is broken does anyone know where i can get a new one so i can solder on? or does anyone have a faulty reader that i can take the conenctors from? Ps im in the uk.

Baha

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're referring to the usb reader that came with the R4, you're better off buying your own micro sd card reader as the usb readers that come bundled with the R4 and M3 are prone to malfunction & over heating. A new micro sd card reader shouldn't cost you a lot and will be more reliable.

betaboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got a spare (I use my SD card adapter on my laptop to copy stuff over so I don't use it). If you want to PM me your address I'll post it to you. Once you've received it and you're happy, you can paypal me a few quid to cover the postage cost etc.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In your case you're better off buying a new one.. they cost like 5-15$ instead of having someone ship you over their connectors from their usb reader.

Modrak

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I'm lucky owner of the second generation reader
smile.gif

dsc09816vx9.jpg

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the 2nd gen reader. I'm wondering if it's realiable.

I've had no problems with the second gen reader. I've used it many times with no errors. Because the cards and the mechanisms are so small on the reader and the R4DS card I would be careful when putting in and taking out your card from both to avoid breaking something accidentally.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm lucky owner of the second generation reader
smile.gif

dsc09816vx9.jpg

Don't consider yourself too lucky. I got that card reader with my R4 and it's fried. BTW, the package I got that card reader in also had a spare shell, so they are not mutually exclusive.

However, I do feel the need to post this in case anyone else has had the same issue, or in case it will prevent anyone else from doing the same thing. I personally think that I fried the above pictured TF reader by running multiple HD-Tach tests on various microSD cards, and as a result, I believe that the reader overheated to the point of lost functionality. I was having no problem transferring files with this reader before the HD-Tach tests. I obviously can't prove that HD-Tach did it, but I hope this serves as a caution to anyone with only the above card reader. You might want to avoid HD Tach (or letting your reader heat up in general).

Back on topic, I agree with those that say trying to fix the card reader isn't worth it. I got a very reliable "Mobile Mate SD+" by SanDisk for about $10. It reads the microSD card directly (no SD adapter), and it has worked like a charm for months now. It even produces better HD Tach random access time results than using my SanDisk 21 in 1 reader with the SD adapter.

Sorry for the long post I tend to ramble late at night. Cheers.

platylover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a my R4 DS last week, which came with the smokey black reader with the two raised diamond bumps. The reader fried two of my microsd cards. I wouldn't risk it, don't use the included reader.

Steve

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
2 fried cards?! Oh, shit!

I got my R4 2 days ago, it has the same reader with diamond bumps. I didn't use it at all, my laptop has a built-in SD reader, so I stick with it.

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ordered a Kingston 1GB from newegg with a Rosewill USB reader, works fine. What sucks is that my kingston was made in taiwan...

Modrak

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I just use the card reader when I put files on the card so it's just 5 minutes and then the card goes back to R4 to be played
wink.gif

I just came across this card with strange adaptor.
Don't mind the site is in czech, the main idea is the microSD > USB and microSD > SD adaptor. Wow. Now stop preorders and actually sell some
wink.gif

ImgW.asp

Winner6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so has anyone got a spare unwanted micro sd card reader which they wud post to me in the uk. i will pay postage cost.

schaatsenmenno

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi, I'll buy a R4DS or M3 Simply,, I know they are the same,, but is there any difference between the cardreaders,, which cardreader is better ? from the R4 or M3 of is there no difference.
And do you think that I must buy a other cardreader I heard that the micro sd card can broken by using te included cardreader? Or can I try the included card reader en use it when it works.

I hope you can understand this, my english is not good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1