R4 breaking ds console?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Pikachu123angel, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Pikachu123angel
    OP

Pikachu123angel Nintendo Ninja

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2010
    Stoke, England
    Hi, I've latley been noticing that now that I have switched to using an R4 from official carts, I've had significantly less battery life while it takes longer to charge. Is this being caused by my R4? Or is it just the age of my ds?

2. tk_saturn

tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2010
    A flashcart will use a little more power than a Retail cart, but not a huge amount. But if you already have a knackered battery, then it will become even more noticble.

If your DS is over 2-3 years old or has been charged over 500 times, then it will need the battery replacing.

3. Matthew

Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2009
    Hampshire
    age of your DS I think, my battery is on the way out too.

R4s could only break a DS with the 'help' of the DS Bricker or possibly bolw a fuse (some slot twos idi that once, I think)

4. Mages4ever

Mages4ever GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Well, my old DS Phat was 1 year old when I got my R4. Battery life was fine till mid '09, then my battery just gave up. (4 hours per charge?)

So, I guess it's aging, because eventually, flash cart or not, your battery will need to be replaced or your hardware upgraded as it just gets worn.

5. twiztidsinz

twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Not true.

Poor positioning of the contacts/cheaply made cards can cause a short which will effectively brick your DS (iirc, it is possible to replace the fuse that blows, but that's rather involved).

6. Porobu

Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Sep 12, 2009

7. twiztidsinz

twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Yes... the N5 was known to short out DS' but I believe there were others as well (possibly clones of the N5 under an R4 name?).