R4 and Sleep Mode...A Repeat Question?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Wormsaregood, Feb 3, 2011.

Feb 3, 2011
  1. Wormsaregood
    OP

Newcomer Wormsaregood Newbie

United States
    Hey guys,

I've tried googling the answers to this pretty extensively but I can't seem to find a DEFINITE answer.

I have the R4 card (fairly certain it's a clone from r4ds.com but is not the HDC or whatever that is...the version that supports a card higher than 2gb) I'm running the newest version of Wood on it with no problems and I had two questions for any of you pros.

The first question involves battery life. I'm aware that using the R4 card cuts down on battery life for whatever reason, though I do personally use the second lowest brightness setting. However, ever since I got the card, I've been hesitant to leave a game running in sleep mode. Back in the day, I'd shut the DS and come back two days later and the game would still be running haha. It was a feature that made me love the DS SO much. I was wondering, does anyone know definitively if the battery life is cut back more while in sleep mode and is it a significant amount?

My second question if anyone knows, i know its a bit off topic, but....I've been hearing talks about 100% compatibility (or close to it) with all games now and forever (unless I'm mistaken?) and I was wondering if the newest version of Wood working on the R4 clone ensures that? I recently had to scrap YSmenu in favor of wood and I'm quite fond of it.

Thanks to everyone who answers.

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    While battery life IS shorter with a flashcard than with a retail card, the difference is not large* and is more dependent on the age of your battery than anything else.
    *Except for the SuperCard DSTwo, but that's because it has onboard CPUs which use more power.

As for compatibility, Wood is one of the most compatible flashcards out there and gets frequent updates to maintain it. 'Now and forever' is HIGHLY unrealistic, simply because if the updates stop then compatibility does too.
    Some cards have built in Anti-AP, ranging from software workarounds like the AceKard2 through AKAIO (which isn't 100%) to Clean Mode like the CycloDS (I think) and SuperCard DSTwo which run the game exactly as a retail cart, which gives them a higher degree of compatibility and can be somewhat considered 'future-proof'.

From what I'm to understand Wood has Anti-AP like the AKAIO, but it only works on AceKard R.P.G and not R4 (real and 1:1 clones, like you have) or R4i Gold due to a hardware limitation.

3. Wormsaregood
    OP

Newcomer Wormsaregood Newbie

United States
    Ok great thanks for the info.