Hacking R4 3DS Dual Core 2015 question

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought this awhile back mistaking this for something that could run 3DS roms on it, which is fine because when I get a Sky3DS I'll be able to use this R4 for regular DS games and DS emulators. However, I have a big problem with the firmware on it.. It's total crap compared to the R4 DS Revolution I have for my regular DS.

I was wondering, is it possible to put another firmware on it? Like the Wood R4 kernel?

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It depends on the cart's manufacturer. Most of the times the original firmware is not compatible with the flashcart, because they (the flashcard manufacturers) most of the times use a hacked (and very old) version of Wood. I can prove this with an example.

I have 2 flashcards now. They have different stickers and a bit different cases, but the physical card looks 100% identical. Even the "SDHC" printing at the pins match. I once borked the "Pokémon Conquest" stickered one's firmware with a DSTT YSmenu, so it's flash memory is cleared, so it won't boot (it's not recognized). I tried to reflash it on my DSLite with the one that's for my R4 SDHC Dual Core 2013 (r4isdhc.com), but it's still not workink, because it's not compatible with that cart, even they look the same.

Also, you mix the meaning of "kernel" and "firmware". At the flashcarts, "kernel" is the menu that's on the SDCARD, and the "firmware" is the data that's on the flashcart's internal flash memory. The "firmware" contains data that makes the (3)DS think that it is a Spongebob game, and contains the code that's used to launch the menu on the SDCARD. If you have a shitty R4 clone (like I do), you SHOULDN'T touch the firmware of the flashcart, because it's 98% that it bricks it (renders it useless). You could try putting a Wood kernel on the SDCARD, but make sure you backup the original kernel before you replace even a single file.
Most of the times it's a __RPG and a _DS_MENU.DAT file.

Currently I have the contents of "r4i_dual_core_1.62.rar" on my SDCARD. What website is on your flashcart? Maybe I could try to help you find a newer kernel for you.

Last edited by Sono,
Reactions: DrakeLyon

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Lol

Fun fact: if you hover over the download link of R4 SDHC Dual Core 2016 at r4isdhc.com's download page, it says r4isdhc.com/2014-r4isdhc-dual-core/ :rofl2:

Btw, do you have R4.DAT and R4imenu, or __RPG and _DS_MENU.DAT ?

You could try some out to see if it works (please try them out in order):
Btw, you only need to extract the above mentioned 2 files.

__RPG​
R4imenu​

Edit: I got ninja'd :ph34r:

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If the menu of the card was starting with only R4imenu and R4.dat, then __RPG and _DS_MENU.DAT sadly won't work. I'll try to find more R4imenu-based kernel stuff, but as you see, the __RPG ones are more "famous"

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that sucks lol. I appreciate your help though MarcusD, I'll look for R4imenu-based kernels as well and let you know if I find something.

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope there is another solution to my problem lol. It's just that the Wood R4 kernel was so much easier to control, and with what I have on my new card for the 3DS, it's just too difficult to navigate through it :/

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Can you has a screenshot of it? And probably a screenshot of your problem too? It may help.

I have a so deep r4isdhc.com clone that mine uses __RPG, so I can't test with any of my flashcarts :P

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New%20Bitmap%20Image_zpsqtrcsdmq.png

IMAG0005_zpsemzfrupp.jpg

IMAG0004_zpslbutxnwe.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's kind of hard to screenshot the exact problem, but if you've seen this interface before you might understand what I mean

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I don't really get your problem. It takes forever to scroll? If yes, have you tried pressing SELECT (or the small magnifying glass)? For me SELECT changes the view, so it doesn't take so frickin' long to load all the data from the roms. Also, you should be able to fast-scroll with left/right. The only thing I could think of, is to change the skin, so it doesn't look so bad :P

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i also have a r4i sdhc 2015 from r4isdhc.com
it uses the moonshell firmware, and yes it's indeed crap. doesn't even even run mario kart zero(mkds rom hack) luckyly i have a r4i gold from r4ids.cn which euns origial wood kernel. runs like a dream.
afaik there is no way of running a different firmware, but if i find one, ill reply here

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Okay, now I get it why you call it :shit:. It is really :shit:...
  • the controls are VERY confusing
  • the file manager is confusing
  • when scrolling, the icons just fly all over the place
  • fragmentation error? ...
  • AND DOWNLOAD-PLAY IS NOT WORKING! :hateit:
  • and NSMB3 freezes after a download-play failure... even on my copy of a copy of a fake copy of a non-official flashcart it doesn't freeze...
At least it kinda works...

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, now I get it why you call it :shit:. It is really :shit:...
  • the controls are VERY confusing
  • the file manager is confusing
  • when scrolling, the icons just fly all over the place
  • fragmentation error? ...
  • AND DOWNLOAD-PLAY IS NOT WORKING! :hateit:
  • and NSMB3 freezes after a download-play failure... even on my copy of a copy of a fake copy of a non-official flashcart it doesn't freeze...
At least it kinda works...
XD lol yeah that's what I've been dealing with :P What flash cart would you recommend for playing regular DS roms and emulators on the 3DS? I crave perfect functionality lol

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
What flash cart would you recommend for playing regular DS roms and emulators on the 3DS?

Idunno. I have a
copy of a copy of a fake copy of a non-official flashcart
so I can't really guess what kind of cart I really have.

Also, I gave this :shit: to my cousin, because he has a 10.2.0-27E old3DS, so he can play with it, and I'll stick to this deep-bootleg old __RPG goodness on my 4.5 SysNAND :lol:

My flashcart has a red PCB with SDHC written above the right side of the pins, and it has a R4 SDHC Dual Core 2013 r4isdhc.com written on the sticker, and it uses the __RPG menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2