Quick question about WUP Installer

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Rokon2, May 8, 2017.

1. Rokon2
    OP

Rokon2 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    I don't want to take much time so I'll be brief. I have an external HDD that I use to play my Wii U games. However, sometimes the USB port wiggles and comes loose, killing my gaming session. My question is, if I wanted to install a game, like Breath of the Wild, into my Wii U, would I be looking at a potential brick? If so, how likely?

I use Mocha CFW and WUP Installer y Mod to install games, but don't use any CFW to play them, as they work fine without it, with the exception of games that have DLC.

Side question: Is installing 3DS/DS/N64/etc games the same process as Wii U? I tried installing some random games but a lot of the time I'm met with an error saying I need to confirm the files are complete or whatever, I'll get the full details later.

Last edited by Rokon2, May 8, 2017
  2. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    You need to get Y cable if you don't want to kill off your HDD completely.
    3DS [.cia] can only be installed on 3DS. Wii U VC [DS/N64 etc.] can be installed on Wii U [.h3, .app]
    VC games need to be installed and launched using CFW.

3. Rokon2
    OP

Rokon2 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    I see, so I can install VC games, but not 3DS games onto my Wii U. I guess in retrospect that makes sense. Now I am aware of needing a Y-Cable. The issue isn't that my External HDD is dying or dead, it's that the USB that it came with is a bit wonky, so sometimes it'll come loose. It's a mild nuisance that I can deal with, except with games that take longer to complete like Zelda, which is why I was asking about installing it into the Wii U itself.

4. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Replace your USB port then. It's really unhealthy for a HDD to have a broken USB port since it can bring issues later on.
    If you want to install to NAND [Wii U's Internal Memory] then go ahead. Everything will go fine until your HDD accidentally unplugs itself during gameplay then you will be slapped with a black screen.

5. Rokon2
    OP

Rokon2 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    I am aware about the issues regarding the USB. However the particular USB that I need is not especially easy to find, but it is something I am working on.

So in essence, it is possible for me to install Wii U games into my Wii U and things will go fine, yes? In that case, if I wanted to play the Wii U games I've installed onto my Wii U, should I remove my HDD beforehand to avoid any issues?

Congratulations on your 2,000th post, by the way.

Felek666 likes this.
  6. Felek666

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Just transfer you games from HDD to your Wii U but make sure to keep minimum 2GB space of free in NAND memory or else your Wii U might corrupt itself.
    Thanks ^^

7. Rokon2
    OP

Rokon2 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    Alright, I appreciate you helping me out, I'll keep that in mind, thank you. :)

Felek666 likes this.
  8. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    What kind of USB is it? If it's the wide, flat, divided USB3, you can use a normal micro USB cable (like the data cable for a phone) for that, since you can't get USB3 speed anyway.