OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I noticed all the stuff people were saying about 'duplicate channels,' and I also noticed that all of those people had PAL Wiis.
I have an NTSC (USA) Wii, so if I wanted to play an NTSC (USA) version of SMG or MP3, it would not need to update, and I would not need to do the "Two copies; one clean, one 'brickblocked'" method?

Just need some clarification.

reecarno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think what happens is this:

If you use a dump that contains a necessary firmware update such as SMG or MP3 you will need to update your wii, assuming that a later firmware has not superseded it. In your case if you were to use the USA version of either of the above games then you will not get the duplicate channels because it is specific to your region wii. If on the other hand you use a PAL or JAP region game then you will. The reason; I will assume, is because Nintendo intend your wii to have these channels and the wii doesn’t come with them from the factory; you need to download them from Nintendo or get them from a game update should you not have the Internet enabled/no access to it. When the NTSC update goes onto a PAL machine it looks to see if the news or weather channels exist, I’m guessing that the NTSC and PAL weather/news channels are simply named differently and the update thinks they don’t exist so puts them on for you.

An example would be that if you were trying to make another folder on your PC called “weather1” and one already existed it would say “file already exist” however if you tried to make “weather2” then if it doesn’t exist it will create one. It’s something along these lines and thus you end up with duplicate channels. I’ve got them on my wii and I just moved them to the far end of the channels they don’t bother me in anyway.

omegakyogre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply-- I found out my answer just a couple of hours ago; It makes perfect sense that it would give you double channels if the regions don't match.

So, the game, if it is from the same region, will update, but it will not duplicate channels.

Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@