LTTP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!
So I am here to ask a few questions before I decide to buy anything...

I currently have a 3ds and am looking for some type of cart to buy.

I looked around the forums but still not to sure what to get and such...

I was looking at the Gateway 3ds, so far it seems good.
But question about that.
I am going to (most likely) get Pokemon Y/X.
Since I never updated my 3ds is like over a year, i am going to have to update to the update required to play pokemon x/y.
Will this cause it not to work?

Dose this support saves for both DS and 3ds?

Anything you should mention to me before hand would be great!
Thanks!

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
The gateway 3ds (red card) ONLY plays 3DS roms. Requires your 3DS firmware to be 4.1-4.5, anything higher and you can just sit there and twiddle your thumbs while you wait a few years for an exploit for 5.0 or higher to show up. Or you can buy an other 3DS for it with the required firmware.

The blue cart carries the payload that allows you to run the red cart. Or you can use it as a R4 clone with wood game manager running. Supports upto 6.1. The payload only works on a 3DS with a firmware between 4.1-4.5.

Pokemon X/Y comes out next month, it might carry a 5.0 3DS firmware update. If that is the case you will not be able to use the legit game period. The pokemon bank feature (this is a monthly subscription service) will likely require accessing the eShop account info, in that case you would have to upgrade your 3DS to use that feature. Upgrading will basically kill the use of a gateway flashcart in this case.

The gateway flashcarts cost around 80 bucks +s/h fees +any taxes/vats etc.

Pick a vendor you like or trust from here: http://gateway-3ds.com/resellers.html

Reactions: LTTP

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Pick anything you want, you just want to make sure it runs on the 3DS firmware you got. Another thing to remember, R4 [name your flavor] brands tend to only support only 1 firmware, basically a through away cart if your a chronic upgrader of the handheld firmware.

Use shoptemp to find one you like then make sure it works on your 3DS, it will normally say so in the description. If it doesn't, automatically assume it is for an older version of the 3DS firmware. That should keep you sort of safe from getting a useless brick.

example of a person who bought a clone but didn't read the version it supported: http://gbatemp.net/threads/ace3ds-plus-refuses-to-update.354972/#post-4782198

http://shoptemp.net/

The Supercard DSTWO cost more than a R4 clone but as survived every upgrade in the 3DS firmware.

LTTP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks again!
So far I am going with the DSTWO!
I like the features it has and how it works to the current version atm.

So I will be able (hopefully) to get DSTWO and use it to its fullest and be able to use the firmware for Pokemon X/Y.

Now I just need to find an online store which I can buy it from in Canada (I am in Ontario)

Suggestions?
I see some on their main site but I rather get peoples suggestions here!

I'd assume they don't come with its own micro sd card also.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought this was going to be a thread where you could post questions and have them answered. For example, why are there more fish in the Pacific Ocean than the Atlantic? Waaa, maybe another time.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks again!
So far I am going with the DSTWO!
I like the features it has and how it works to the current version atm.

So I will be able (hopefully) to get DSTWO and use it to its fullest and be able to use the firmware for Pokemon X/Y.

Now I just need to find an online store which I can buy it from in Canada (I am in Ontario)

Suggestions?
I see some on their main site but I rather get peoples suggestions here!

I'd assume they don't come with its own micro sd card also.
Most vendors will sell a microSD along with the flashcart.

http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?cPath=30_35&products_id=977
https://www.modchipcentral.com/stor...o-w-free-usb-reader-and-usb-charge-cable.html
Those are the only 2 vendors I know that are in Canada.

I thought this was going to be a thread where you could post questions and have them answered. For example, why are there more fish in the Pacific Ocean than the Atlantic? Waaa, maybe another time.

And what choices do you have? It is either the DSTWO or a R4 clone if you want to run DS games.
Acekard, CycloDS, M3, EZ-Flash and the others are all dead along with the other smaller names, you have been living under a rock for too long.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what choices do you have? It is either the DSTWO or a R4 clone if you want to run DS games.
Acekard, CycloDS, M3, EZ-Flash and the others are all dead along with the other smaller names, you have been living under a rock for too long.

Are you sure you meant to reply to my post? I'm not having any trouble with my DS or the flashcarts I'd need to run games on it.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is it because the Pacific is bigger?

And anyway, yeah DSTWO is the one to go with for playing DS, good choice.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who, me? I don't have any of the DS's so this doesn't affect me at all. But I wish the OP would've had a more descriptive title like, "What kind of cart should I get for my 3DS?". Questions! is so general; you might as well have a thread called Answers!
Is it because the Pacific is bigger?
Yeah, I had to come up with something on the fly. And yes it is.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BOOM!!!!
supercard-dstwo__30970_zoom.jpg

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

LTTP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you choose dstwo? I can help you out with it if needed.

wow such helpful willing people :D
YES I did!
I am going to order it some time after I get Pokemon Y/X!
or even later on since i am not in a rush.
I will more then likely come back when/if I need help getting it started but it seems simple enough..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte