Questions regarding A9HL + AuReiNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DiscostewSM, Apr 5, 2016.

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Just doing a copy-paste from another thread (not of my own) because it's easier, and I'd rather not interrupt that thread anymore with such a large post and multiple questions.

Ok, so let's say I'd want to switch from rxTools to A9HL + AuReiNAND. I have an o3DS 9.2.0-20U sysNAND and 10.7.0-32U emuNAND (the latter which I pretty much do everything with, like play games I've installed, run the HBL cia, work on homebrew, etc). If I were to make the change, would I lose/invalidate what I have in emuNAND? The guide mentioned here not only talks about RedNAND (which has differences from emuNAND), but the guide itself seems to speak about not having an actual alternative NAND on the SD card once all the steps are done, as everything would be on the sysNAND. Is that right? I've been using emuNAND because I've tried to keep a safe distance from messing too much with my sysNAND.

The first 2 steps of the guide aren't a problem, as I have HomeMenuHax installed already (with a Cubic Ninja and prepared OoT copies if I need them), and I'm already on 9.2.0-20U, so I can clone my sysNAND to make the RedNAND. The 3rd step is where I start having questions.

Step 3:

If I understand correctly, the only reason for RedNAND is for step 4, where I grab the OTP? Also, a thing to note. I believe when I had my emuNAND unlinked from my sysNAND, I also tied my NNID to that (though I think it is also tied to my sysNAND? I'm really not sure at this point since it has been so long since I used the eShop on either NANDs). How shall I check this, and do I need to do anything prior to starting this guide with my NNID?

Step 4:

Now from this step on scares me, because it talks about downgrading RedNAND (not a problem) then flashing it to sysNAND to grab the OTP. Doing something like HomeMenuHax isn't as much of a problem for me, but basically rewriting the sysNAND? That's raising flags for me. Also, the "Cross you fingers" steps....Why does that make me uncomfortable?

Step 5:

This is where I'd choose whether to use AuReiNand or CakesFW. If all I wanted to do was install/play games (including unsigned GBA/DSi games), work on homebrew via HBL installed, etc, would AuReiNAND provide that? It's said to be "noob-friendly", but I guess because I don't really know what I could do with CakesFW to warrant using that, I guess AuReiNAND would be fine for me. Also, where it says "You will no longer be able to boot without the SD card in, that is normal", it would be safe to remove the card after boot, right, unlike running under emuNAND?

Ok, after all that, I still am concerned about some things. What would happen with my existing emuNAND regarding all this? I guess I can reinstall the games, but I'd imagine that I'd lose my saves. Is there a way to backup my saves from my emuNAND prior to making this change, then restore them afterwards? What about my NNID, my digital purchases, eShop (with regard to my purchases, as well as non-purchased DLC)? What about updating like I have done with emuNAND (so various games can work)? What about if at some point in the future, Nintendo comes out with a new handheld, and transfer are done like they have been this gen (assuming they still haven't gotten around to making a universal account system where I could just use my account name/pass to access my stuff)?

Sorry for all these questions, some of which are probably in the guide but aren't quite clear to me. Messing so deep into the system always makes me hesitant.

Thanks everyone for your responses and help, even if this isn't even my thread. Might have more questions later, but this should start me off.

2. exangel

exangel executioner angel

Apr 20, 2010
    United States
    Tucson, AZ
    after doing 4 consoles without a problem i caved and installed a9lh+aureinand to my formerly "legit" n3ds which has over $200 worth of eShop stuff as well as ambassador games. i didn't lose anything, still had my saves and my NNID was still linked in the end, now i can't guarantee you'll have the same experience but if you are following plailect's guide then you SHOULD keep everything as long as you are diligent about following the guide.

Step 3: You shouldn't have to do anything special with your NNID unless you somehow nuke your emuNAND_original.bin or redNAND_original.bin. If you somehow wind up with a formatted system in the end you can re-link your NNID. If you want to backup your saves I recommend JK's save manager.

Step 4: Yeah, this is the scary part, but I've done 6 consoles now and it's never errored for me.

Step 5: I like AuReiNand, I use the splash screens myself, and I like the way it configures. Regarding unsigned GBA/DSi games, I'm not 100% sure that is incorporated yet but I read that it's going to be in the next version. AuReiNAND was at 4.1 last I checked.

pedroren likes this.
  3. gkoelho

gkoelho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2015
    Brazil

Step 3:

He will teach you how to unlink them.(He may not say it directly, bu u will format emunand during the process which will ultimately unlink it.

Step 4:

It says to croos your fingers because its the only thing u can do in this time. The guide double checks and make sure everyone has the best possible chance in the case of any problem. However this step u have only one chance. If the flashing fails in any way it may very will brick the console.

Step 5:

Yes, for you is better to stick with aureinand.

No. It will not work with the SD card off at all. On the bootmanager DEcrypt9 and Emunand9 may let you take off sd card via un-mount function, but after loading the home menu it will not work with the sd card off. It will also dont boot if u dont have the right files on your SD card, so u may want to keep them safe with many backups.

And NO, you will Not lost any of your Data if u follow the guide by the T. Your NNID will work aswell. U may update, play online, buy on eShop, do whatever you want and you it will never be patched. The only thing u can not do is update native_firm without firm0\firm1 protection enabled. (what aureinand will never let you do by default)

pedroren likes this.
  4. Docmudkipz

Docmudkipz Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Staring at my computer case's window
    For the entire guide you can replace redNAND with EmuNAND.
    Step 3: No, you can keep it how it is currently
    Step 4: As long as you follow each step to a T then you'll be fine. I do feel like the cross your fingers part is meant to scare you. If you read it and didn't skim over every step instead of doing them then you're gonna be fine. Make sure to double check everything though
    Step 5: If you want convenience, go ARN, Cakes can be extra effort to change settings, otherwise they'll both do what your rx did. The reason behind not being able to boot without the SD is that it has to load two files from it: arm9bootloader.bin and arm9loaderhax.bin, both of which are setup when you do this.

The Emunand you backed up and had before hand will be the new SysNAND that ARN will be loading, you essentially wont be losing anything but gaining A9LH.

Edit: And I believe theres a part in the guide that tells you to back up your saves just in case.

pedroren likes this.
  5. astronautlevel

astronautlevel But he's a guy

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    "cross your fingers" is leftover from when the guide had a relatively high chance of brick. It's really very safe at this point.

6. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I guess to simplify this, what I care most is that I don't brick my system in the process, and not lose any of my purchases I made on the eShop. If I lose my game saves, then oh well. It's not nearly as important as what I listed prior, but if there are programs that'll let me back up my saves from emuNAND and then restore them onto Updated sysNAND (is that correct?), then that'll be fine. I only used emuNAND because I didn't want to mess with sysNAND and potentially brick it and to have access to > 9.2.0 for games that need it, but if A9HL +AuReiNAND allows to me to restore my NAND without hard-modding (which I guess it's like BootMii on the Wii, which I never had a unit to try that) and have the benefit of emuNAND like being up-to-date while still being able to install cias and whatnot, then I'd really have no reason to have emuNAND for what I do, right?

7. Docmudkipz

Docmudkipz Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Staring at my computer case's window
    Yes, that's about it basically. If you really want to back up saves then JK's Save Manager is good for that. Just remember to follow directions like an insane cultist intent on getting up higher in the hierarchy and you'll be fine. Most bricks at this point are user error.

astronautlevel likes this.
  8. astronautlevel

astronautlevel But he's a guy

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    New signature quote

gkoelho likes this.
  9. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Alright, I'll give it a try when I get home today. Thanks everyone. Wish me luck.

exangel likes this.
  10. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    It's all done. I was successful in installing arm9loaderhax + AureiNAND. Took a number of hours (almost until 3AM, not sure when I started), but it was neat to see the various programs load up on boot when holding down a particular button, and extremely fast too. No more emuNAND. Doing testing of the different things I could do before. eShop works (with NNID linked, so my purchases are preserved), launching signed GBA games and DS games on card works (again, just making sure everything works because you never know). Currently installing some 3DS CIAs and will test if my save backups can be re-injected, then test unsigned GBA/DSi later.

Initially had a problem when I first began. It kept saying that it could not create the sysNAND backup, even after formatting and whatnot, it finally worked after I used DISKPART on my computer, selected my SD card, then did a "clean" (twice), then did a "create partition primary" on it. It worked after that. Only other thing was after the One Click Setup with OTPHelper, where I'd "cross my fingers" then do a reboot. Got a black screen, but as it stated, I could get around it by booting with the SD card removed then reinsert it when I saw the home menu, and I did. Other than those, everything went fine, but took a long time.

Thanks everyone for your help.

11. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Finished more testing. 3DS cias works, imported save backups works, and launching of unsigned GBA/DSi games works. Just about everything I wanted works, and more. Thanks again all (those in this thread and the one before).