Questions on PCSX2 (PS2 Emulator on PC)

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raiser, Jul 18, 2009.

Jul 18, 2009
  1. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Okay, so I decided that I wanted to start playing PS2 games on my PC.
    I'm currently downloading Xenosaga III (Yes, I have the actual disc sitting upstairs on top of my dusty 'ol PS2).

1) I've heard that if I get an Action Replay for the PS2, I could copy the save files from my memory card ONTO the USB in the AR and plug it into my computer, transferring the files. Is this true? If so, does *any* action replay for the PS2 work or do I need to look for a specific AR?

2) I've also read that PS3 controllers (the official Sony ones) work with PCSX2. I assume that this is true?

3) For PS2 emulation, would you suggest getting a PS3 controller or a PC gaming controller (Logitech or something)?

Thanks for your time. (:

(And sorry, dunno if this goes under the consoles sub-forum or the computer sub-forum. :\)

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    why didnt you just dump your own disk, would have been a lot quicker then DLing it

I cant really answer your other questions because im not sure
    ive messed with the emu a little but went back to the ps2 (you just cant beat the real thing...)
    I used a PS2 controller with a USB adapter fine though with it

3. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use a Logitech Rumblepad 2 which is basically a PS2 controller.

4. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

certain action replays (the MAX?) allow you to plug them into a computer to upload cheats, and by that same process you can copy save files I believe. Such action replays are hard to get cheaply nowadays since they are out of production (I looked pretty hard when trying to find one to softmod my PS2 to shut my sister up about her broken discs).

+1 on just burning the disk yourself, I recommend imgburn.

Playstation 2 controllers are, in my opinion, much better than your typical logitech controller (I own the 20 dollar rumblepad, but I stopped using it once I got a Ps2 - USB adapter). I have never used a PS3 controller, but I would assume they are even higher quality so I guess it would be PS3 controller (if you can get it working) > PS2 controller > logitech controller. Logitech controllers are by no means bad controllers, but as someone who never really used a PS2 controller, I much prefer the PS2 controller, the buttons aren't as clunky and the analog stick can go in a circle, rather then the rather silly square.

5. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Yes, I ended up cancelling my DL and just ripped the game myself via ImgBurn. Gawd, I love that program. Been using it forever, but I never new ripping was so fast. o.o

So I should try to look for an AR MAX than? I'm sure one of my RL friends has one. :\
    Thanks for all your suggestions on controllers, I'm probably going to just buy a PS3 controller. xDD
    The PS2 controllers that I have have some sort of problem where the analog sticks get all oily after a day. >.> Considering how they're face up and no one touches them and there's no leak above them, it remains a mystery to me as to how the analogs get.. oily. o.o

6. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

I'm not 100% on whether or not you can put save files onto a flash drive.
    I would assume so, but you might want to get a confirmation on this

Edit: given the 'extreme' tone the datel website gives in its descriptions, the quote didn't look right without bold and italics

7. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That shit happens to me as well. I just pass it off as my "gamer sweat" that has surfaced over the past 7 or so years.

The PS3 controllers are a bit too pricey since you're just going to use it with an emulator, so I would go with a PS2 controller and a PS2 to USB adapter, which is still cheaper than buying a Dual Shock 3. I only have SIXAXIS controllers, but besides the fact they're missing vibration (once you play without it, you realize you've taken it for granted) and are too light for me, they're solid controllers.

Oh, and make sure your computer is powerful enough to even run the games, as you will need a rather powerful computer to emulate the PS2.

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    You could just, you know, hack your PS2.

9. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    I know. o.o
    Too lazy to AND my controllers are messed up. :\