Questions of Legality

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by MarioMasta64, Mar 22, 2017.

?

is it okay?

1. yes. it is okay to redistibute and host the files.

75.0%
  2. kinda. you can include them but not host them.

12.5%
  3. no. you can neither distribute nor host them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. you cant host them there! (i plan to host on github if its okay to)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other. -gives response-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. yes. but you have to incude a license.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. not sure. (i voted this but you can vote this too)

12.5%
  1. MarioMasta64
    OP

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    these are four .dll files that i need for an application im distributing:
    msvcp120.dll
    msvcp140.dll
    msvcr120.dll
    vcruntime140.dll
    questions:
    1. is it okay to redistribute these with my projects?
    2. is it okay to host the files ready for my project to download?
    anyone can answer.
    although proof (such as an article or such) would make me feel better about the answer.

2. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Or you could have whomever is receiving this app download the proper app through the proper channels? I don't think it's illegal.

C++ through Microsoft BTW

MarioMasta64 likes this.
  3. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    thats what im doing. i know what it is. and all my projects download the needed binaries from their site. so thats a "i dont think its wrong but im not sure" right?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

and because c++ is required to be installed as admin is why i wish to just download the needed .dll from a server i set up. but im not sure the legality of such a thing.

Last edited by MarioMasta64, Mar 23, 2017
  4. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    It's free software, so I don't see why it would be illegal. The worst that could happen would be a C&D and that one particular project gets taken down, right? I don't think Microsoft's going to care about a little free project or fine you a small loan of a million dollars.

TheVinAnator, Memoir and MarioMasta64 like this.
  5. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    so then im thinking from the responses i just have my binary download another binary specifically to install the needed .dll (so that if the project that downloads the .dll files gets taken down the original project will still stay) as an option. (say something like... "choose me if the program complains about .dll files" something like that) also all .dll files get installed to system32 right? (im considering making a checker but i think itd be risky .3.)

on another note. i could maybe find out how vcredist works and extract the needed files manually but it'd be alot more work than youd think. .3.

6. Boogieboo6

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    That's a good idea, but I meant that you could just do what you want and Microsoft wouldn't really care because you're not charging for the project and the project isn't super mega popular and won't attract their attention. If it somehow did get their attention, I think at worst you'd get a C&D to get your project taken down. That's even if they care at all!

MarioMasta64 likes this.
  7. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    and if i do that i would need to download binaries which on a slow connection is terrible.

ill create a seperate binary to download the .dll files instead of including it with the portable application and ill make it not run automatically (so if it gets taken down the binary will still function)

Boogieboo6 likes this.
  8. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
  9. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
  10. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I'd say that this actually isn't a good idea as the official redistributable packages incorporate themselves into Windows Update. Just downloading individual DLLs results in outdated binaries unless you as the purveyor can keep up with the original developer's upstream. Honestly, including the option to install the redistributable in your installer or package (like most developers do) would be more practical.

Minox likes this.
  11. Boogieboo6

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    That means you have to be an admin to install them though, right? And the portability of this means it can be used anywhere even without admin privilege.

MarioMasta64 likes this.
  12. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    thats what i did. did you not see my post?

and thats why i used the .dll specificly and you seem to get my point

also the downloaded .dll havent gotten updates in like forever. and the files can easily be interchanged. also i dont include it because of reasons i state above. i can get not reading threads but this thread is short.

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Sorry, I was at work when I made my post so that's why I only read the OP.

MarioMasta64 likes this.
  14. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    its fine. i do the same thing sometimes xD but i try my best to get a grasp of things before i reply. i usually only go on the temps when i got time to burn.

15. th3_r3v

th3_r3v Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2017
    United States
    A fairly generally accepted knowledge is if it's m$ft, it's proprietary and illegal to repurpose or redistribute.

You need to have open source licenses like MIT, Linux, GNU, FreeBSD, etc. These have clear distributive freedoms written on included LICENSE file or commented statement at the top of the file/script you'd like to use. It's pretty B&W...

MarioMasta64 likes this.
  16. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    if they werent okay. why would they be included in a binary install called "vcredist" aka "visual c redistrubitable" all dll files included in the package can be used in a project. if youre saying i should include a license then sure. but i did alot of my own research into this too. and its okay to redistribute the binaries im hosting.

nothings being repurposed either its the full unmodified redistrubitable binary.

17. jsa

jsa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Devon, UK
    Just bundle the redistributable and have the user install it silently -- if this isn't an option then yes you should be fine extracting the DLLs from the redist at runtime

MarioMasta64 likes this.
  18. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    i could do that. but would require downloading a 350mb file @-@ this is supposed to be as portable as possible. if i require to do this i will. until then i will host them seperately so that the main project still works and its optional. if i need to include a license i will. also the main demographic of people who'd use my projects wont have admin privs. ill look more into it tho.

or actually vcredist isnt that big.. but i dont think it has command line params like dxsdk does. does it?

19. jsa

jsa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Devon, UK
    There's a /quiet flag
    Check out this MSDN page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235299.aspx
    According to that you should be okay to redistribute just the DLLs though it's not recommended

Update: I checked the license, here's what it says:
    So basically, yes you can, and if you have Visual Studio installed you'll find the DLLs in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio XX.X\VC\redist or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio XX.X\VC\redist

Last edited by jsa, Apr 6, 2017
    MarioMasta64 likes this.
  20. MarioMasta64
    OP

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    oh nice ^~^ this makes everything alot easier