Hacking Questions about IOS35...

Tzepish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do any games require IOS35? (or a specific version of IOS35)?

I ask because this tutorial (http://www.mikeandheth.com/games/109...em-menu-4.html) instructs the user to downgrade IOS35, and I'm not sure why. Also, I bricked my wii by installing IOS35 from the Punchout disc.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
How did you brick your Wii from a failed IOS35 install? No System Menu depends on it, and many things don't use IOS35.
unsure.gif
Including more information (i.e.- if you have an LU64 Wii, System Menu, etc.) would be more helpful.

Guides will instruct people to downgrade IOS35 so other things can be downgraded or installed.

Tzepish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my serial number was LU500 I think.

I upgraded to 4.0, used Banner bomb to put homebrew channel on, then followed that tutorial, including downgrading IOS35. Punchout worked every step of the way until I installed cIOS, then all of a sudden Punchout wanted to update. I used Wii Scrubber to pull the IOS files out of the update partition on Punchout, then went into wad manager to install them. I wasn't sure which ones I needed, so I installed them all, but I checked Punchout after each one. After installing the IOS35 that came with Punchout, exiting the wad manager caused a hang, and my wii was bricked from then on.

This made me wonder if Punchout intentionally has a sabotage IOS35 on it, since installing cIOS should not have changed Punchout's ability to play. I wonder if it was looking for an IOS249, and if it found one, refusing to play, saying you need to update.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you installed every IOS wad from the punchout disc? and if theres anything else you done you need to list it

Also how badly is your Wii bricked, does it still work, does it give and black screen upon boot, what is it doing
Well looking at the punchout update partition, even if you installed every IOS wad from Punchout being on 4.0 it shouldn't have bricked ya.

lastly are you sure you was on 4.0, and Important did you happen to install the system menu wad from punchout?

edit: Ok i just read your other post you left on another thread, it defiantly sounds like a low-level brick, when you turn on your Wii do you get a Black Screen, No Video Signal what do you get, Does Savemiifrii still boot into the recovery menu?

Tzepish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SaveMii does nothing, and it has a red light instead of a green light, so I think I'm hosed.

This crap is killing me though... On my friend's Wii, I did all the same stuff except install cIOS, and Punchout works like a charm. Then I install a wad file (Tetris Attack), and now Punchout needs a damn update. I don't know if Punchout has some sort of magic h4x0r detection and is trying to hose me, or what, because I SHOULD NOT have to update anything to play it, considering I was playing it earlier.

Oi
hate2.gif

EDIT: I don't know anything about Starpatch. I'll look into it as long as it's something that can be installed on 4.0. And I know I'm on 4.0 because of the SD card icon down at the bottom.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tzepish said:
my serial number was LU500 I think.

This made me wonder if Punchout intentionally has a sabotage IOS35 on it, since installing cIOS should not have changed Punchout's ability to play. I wonder if it was looking for an IOS249, and if it found one, refusing to play, saying you need to update.

Punchout (or any other game for that matter) most definitely has, or does, no such thing.

Tzepish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can't explain otherwise why Punchout demands an update after installing cIOS (or Tetris Attack), even though it played fine just earlier... This has now happened on my bricked wii, my friend's wii, and my brother's. I figure, since I installed tetris attack with cIOS249, that might explain it. Or maybe cIOS is downgrading other IOSes when I install it? Then, installing a new IOS35 on top of a downgraded one kills the wii?

Or, if I install a new IOS35, while having channels on my system that were installed with a downgraded IOS35, would that explain the brick? Do these channels "still use" the IOS I installed them with, and freak out when it's not the downgraded one? I don't see how that could cause a full brick, though.

For what's it's worth, I took another look at the IOS35 from Punchout, and it's not a stub (1.6megs IRC), so the sabotage theory is probably out. My current theory is that installing cIOS does something to your other IOSes, OR Punchout is attempting to use/check IOS249 as an anti-piracy measure.

EDIT: The thing that gets my goat is that if Nintendo is trying to go after pirates, they got the wrong guy... I ALWAYS buy the discs for the ISOs I rip (for both Wii and PSP), and I prepaid for every chapter of FF4: After Years before downloading the leaked DLC. I probably buy more games now that I have hacked consoles, since they are more convenient to play (from hard drive / memory stick).

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Punch Out asked to update the first time I installed some cIOS and homebrew stuff on a 4.0 wii as well. The first time it happened it updated (very quickly) jut fine. But I was getting errors trying to do more hacking after that, like trying to run AnyTitleDeleter and running hacked VC games from the SD card. I made sure to go back and patch the necessary IOS files, installed the StartPatch update block and have had no problems since then.

So yeah, that game will do that. But it shouldn't have bricked you so badly...

pancho

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i got a us wii (modded with a chip) with no settings or semibrick they call. i run the punchout and it ask for update. I updated it after it was finished its still semibrick, now i got a double channel which mean the game is pal. I check the wii version with savemiifrii and its 3.4 I do the fix for the 3.4 and i downgraded the ios manually. Then i update it to 4.0 and install preloader29 , i removed the double channel also and everytime i run the pal punchout no more update pops out everything works fine. I don't think its because of that ios35 which you extracted and installed it manually that cause you a problem. System menu 4.0 doesn't rely on ios35 as what others have said.

neogio

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Please help a newbie ... I just got a new Wii and try to softmod, installed HBC and when trying to go to the next step (Downgrade IOS35) I just got a core dump screen. Later on I tried again and I get a message that somehow I already tried so I can not do it again. What should I do in this situation?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
neogio said:
Please help a newbie ... I just got a new Wii and try to softmod, installed HBC and when trying to go to the next step (Downgrade IOS35) I just got a core dump screen. Later on I tried again and I get a message that somehow I already tried so I can not do it again. What should I do in this situation?
Forget trying to downgrade ios35.

Instead get trucha bug restorer and run it.
Then install your cios
then whatever backup loaders you want.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Are you sure IOS35 did the brick? Did you get back to system menu after every step?

To me it sounds like you installed the (3.4) system menu that is on the disc. If you did that, you have a not recoverable FULL brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂