Hacking Questions about game card updates…

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a 3DS that came with firmware 2.1.0 and updated it to 2.2.0 with Mario Kart 7. I found out online though that before the update, it is supposed to show the firmware that it will update to on the touch screen. This did not happen for me. Is there any way that I can enable that option? Which firmware first introduced the ability to show the game card update firmware on the touchscreen before you update? I am also wondering if games that were first produced with older updates now come with newer updates when they are manufactured. For example, New Super Mario Bros. 2 originally came with 4.1 when the first game cards for it were being manufactured. Do the copies manufactured late last year or this year come with a newer update, such as 7.2? I also heard that when the latest firmware is downloaded and the 3DS is encouraging you to update, then when the game card tries to update, it will install the latest firmware. Is this true? I do not want my new 3DS to go to waste after buying it specifically for using a Gateway card and creating and running homebrew.

Reactions: The Cringe

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I think you can get rid of the downloaded update if you restore the console to factory defaults, just make sure you won't download it again. Can anyone else confirm?

Alessandro98

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think you can get rid of the downloaded update if you restore the console to factory defaults, just make sure you won't download it again. Can anyone else confirm?

I don't think you get the initial firmware if you restore the console, I hope I'm wrong...

hojo1124

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can not go back to previous firmware once you've updated it.
Restoring it to factory settings just erases your user profile and settings, but the firmware is forever.

I pwned U!

OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You can not go back to previous firmware once you've updated it.
Restoring it to factory settings just erases your user profile and settings, but the firmware is forever.
I think that NicEXE was talking about formatting the system before installing the update to erase the Wi-Fi settings and the update date. You most likely thought that he meant doing that after the update is installed.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I never said you can downgrade using this method. All I said is that you can get rid of the (not installed yet downloaded) update. If you restore it to it's factory defaults your firmware would be equal to what it was before (of course).

I pwned U!

OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is good information, but does anyone know the answers to all of the other questions that I asked? Also, I meant to say "update data" in my previous post.

nicklesminer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a card is manufactured with a specific firmware it'll always have that firmware. a game with a 4.5 update for example will always have the 4.5 update regardless of when its produced.

I pwned U!

OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If a card is manufactured with a specific firmware it'll always have that firmware. a game with a 4.5 update for example will always have the 4.5 update regardless of when its produced.
Thanks! I will contact the Play N' Trade in my city to see if the employees there will allow me to borrow a game with the right update for a little while and return it once I am done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt