Hacking Questions about atmosphere and updating my switch

The0919

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my switch 2 days ago and it came on 4.1.0. I know this is in the range for softmodding once atmosphere comes out, but It is very tempting to update now to get eshop access, especially because all I have is odessey and my local store selection isn't great. I have all the necissary tools for hardmodding and doing it once wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I was wondering if you only will have to do it once, then it will boot into atmosphere every time, or if you will need to re-uploaded the playload every time you want to use atmosphere.
Tldr I really want to update for eshop, but i want to know if softmodding really will be that much more convenient over hardmodding

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
dont update and just wait for its release

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

play some mario in the mean time

Reactions: NoNAND

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sounds like you want to update and that the simple hardmod isn't really a hassle for you, so IMO do it. You only have to do the process again if you completely turn off the console (which is something I never do btw). I'm 4.1 and I will be waiting for the softmod release (likely not soon) because I have other consoles and games, so I'm not in a rush to play anything on Switch right now. Plus, patience always pays off because you will get better homebrew and stability down the line. Maybe try to beat SMO and if nothing new is released by that time then you update

Last edited by lukhart,

MightyMoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I had ur dilemma until I watched hpw easy autoRCM makes the whole process in the last TX video. And it's very likely to be present in atmosphere.

And FYI 4.1.0 wont get coldboot option.. It'll be warmboot if it comes, which means having to go through browser process everytime you boot.. If you have a phone capable of sending payload all you need to do is keep a 1-ft usb cable in your switch's case (I suggest ordering the skull and co grip case.. Just simply heavenly) and you'e
going to be good to go. You don't even need to press anything, just keep the payload on ur phone and have the nxloader deliver iy automatically.. I honestly find that much more convenient than warmboot. So I say go for and update.

Reactions: Zumoly

baretbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just got my switch 2 days ago and it came on 4.1.0. I know this is in the range for softmodding once atmosphere comes out, but It is very tempting to update now to get eshop access, especially because all I have is odessey and my local store selection isn't great. I have all the necissary tools for hardmodding and doing it once wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I was wondering if you only will have to do it once, then it will boot into atmosphere every time, or if you will need to re-uploaded the playload every time you want to use atmosphere.
Tldr I really want to update for eshop, but i want to know if softmodding really will be that much more convenient over hardmodding
With the recent fix to sleep mode, as long as you don't power off the switch and only put your device into sleep mode, you can stay in cfw indefinitely. If you crash, or power down, you will have to get back into rcm. It's honestly not a hassle at all. I've had my switch in cfw for past 4 days without having to use my jig. I'd update, especially with e3 coming soon, the eShop will have some killer deals!
If you were on lower firmware like 3.0.0, I'd say stay on that... but 4.1 really isn't likely to get coldbooting

Last edited by baretbh,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the recent fix to sleep mode, as long as you don't power off the switch and only put your device into sleep mode you can stay in cfw indefinitely. If you crash, or piwer down you will have to get back into rcm. It's honestly not a hassle at all. I've had my switch in cfw for past 4 days without having to use my jig. I'd update, especially with e3 coming to soon the eShop will have killer deals
If you were on lower firmware like 3.0.0 I'd say stay on that but 4.1 really isn't likely to get coldbooting
Oh yeah, can't wait to download Fornite and Paladins, amirite?

Reactions: baretbh

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Be careful with autoRcm. It's dangerous due to the fact that the Switch boot when connected but can't charge the battery in RCM.
I had ur dilemma until I watched hpw easy autoRCM makes the whole process in the last TX video. And it's very likely to be present in atmosphere.

And FYI 4.1.0 wont get coldboot option.. It'll be warmboot if it comes, which means having to go through browser process everytime you boot.. If you have a phone capable of sending payload all you need to do is keep a 1-ft usb cable in your switch's case (I suggest ordering the skull and co grip case.. Just simply heavenly) and you'e
going to be good to go. You don't even need to press anything, just keep the payload on ur phone and have the nxloader deliver iy automatically.. I honestly find that much more convenient than warmboot. So I say go for and update.

ekosfer147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Be careful with autoRcm. It's dangerous due to the fact that the Switch boot when connected but can't charge the battery in RCM.
Oh holy never thought about that it will be trash if it reaches to %0 and won t ever be able to recharge or boot lol pure lost

MonMonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
No it's true, but if the switch battery completely die, you can charge it.
Normally i wouldn't charge it during playing anyway with that shitty kik stand that block the charging port lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh holy never thought about that it will be trash if it reaches to %0 and won t ever be able to recharge or boot lol pure lost
If it reaches 0% you still can charge it no worries

NightStorm1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Atmosphere wont be released anytime soon. They still struggeling with the SD Card Driver as far as I see on the Discord. I set my bet to a September Release Date.

MightyMoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Just looked up the case and it's really great! Only downside would be it's size as I like minimalist things. Might consider it.

Literally the best thing I've ever bought for the price.. You can find it on amazon for 4$ extra btw.. Since they take about a month and a half to ship it over indiegogo (long wait but boy was it worth it)

Hernie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, everyone is talking about whether to upgrade or not. I'm on 4.1.0 and understand the whole don't upgrade because you'll get a softmod.

The one thing I'm wondering is that people are talking about using Atmosphere on emuNand offline, and then using OFW online to mitigate the risk of being band. Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to update your sysNand anyways to play online?

I rarely turn my switch completely off anyways, do the whole dongle thing isn't much of an issue for me. I can just reboot it when ever I want to play online.

With Fornite coming out in the next few days, I'm going to find it REALLY hard not to update. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by Hernie,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, everyone is talking about whether to upgrade or not. I'm on 4.1.0 and understand the whole don't upgrade because you'll get a softmod.

The one thing I'm wondering is that people are talking about using Atmosphere on emuNand offline, and then using OFW online to mitigate the risk of being band. Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to update your sysNand anyways to play online?

I rarely turn my switch completely off anyways, do the whole dongle thing isn't much of an issue for me. I can just reboot it when ever I want to play online.

With Fornite coming out in the next few days, I'm going to find it REALLY hard not to update. What are your thoughts on this?
I think either those people got it mixed up or you did, but that doesn't matter. The point would be to run the CFW as well as any other hacks on the NAND that will be staying offline (SysNAND) and play online using legitimate methods on the updated NAND (EmuNAND).

Hernie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think either those people got it mixed up or you did, but that doesn't matter. The point would be to run the CFW as well as any other hacks on the NAND that will be staying offline (SysNAND) and play online using legitimate methods on the updated NAND (EmuNAND).

But, wouldn't the emuNand be CFW and be detected as such, Or Ninty be able to detect that you're running emuNand. If it works out the way you explain, then that would work.

.... Also, isn't that why some people are staying away from SwitchSX because it modifies your sysNand, they don't want that. From what you're explaining, the sysNand would in fact be modified with Atmosphere. I thought that was the whole point to emuNand was to not mess with and overwrite the sysNand.

Last edited by Hernie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch