[Question]

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xxbilxx, Dec 29, 2015.

1. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    You users here seem pretty knowledgeable, so could you explain to me something? Why would anyone purchase a flashcart (Sky3DS, Gateway) if you can use CFW to install CIAs? Is the main purpose of flashkarts to appeal to users who have no kernel access?

Sorry if this is a noob question, I am just trying to understand some of the lingo around the forum. Thanks in advance, guys!

EDIT: whoops, I forgot to finish the title of the thread. Sorry if it's misleading. :(

Last edited by xxbilxx, Dec 29, 2015
  2. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    The only advantage of a Gateway is .3ds loading.

3. Otelo2

Otelo2 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2015
    Mexico
    I believe flashcarts came before cfw, that and the easier to understand "plug and play" method

4. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    But why would you want .3ds loading? Is it any different that using a CIA? Benefits/disadvantages?

5. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    Just cause CIA takes longer to install I guess.

6. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Well that seems odd. I own a Sky3DS and I would much rather have it take a while to install my game than not be able to find the game file. 3DS rom files are difficult to come by on the web, whereas CIA roms seem much easier to find.

7. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    Yes, but Gateway makes it easy to switch between roms.
    But I agree with you, I like CIA more.

8. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Mods can close this thread if the see this, considering my question has been answered and the title is incredibly vague.

9. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    I prefer the sky3ds because it has no chance of bricking your console, unlike gateway/CFW if you do something wrong. Cia aren't always the better option. Long install time, clutters your home menu, you have to use all kinds of special steps to install emunand and boot it, always have to make sure you update emunand and not sysnand by mistake. The list goes on for why I don't like gw or CFW. True they both do more than sky3ds ever will. But I'm a man of simple pleasures, like plug n' ply with the new sky card. Honestly, it's all just a matter of each persons preference on what to pirate with.

10. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    Sky3DS can't play eShop games though. But, like you said, personal preferences.

11. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    I knew I forgot to put that in there. That's pretty much the only thing I dislike about sky3ds. But oh well. The only eshop games I want are red, blue, and yellow when they hit the eshop. but that's where the gameyob emu comes in with my ironhax.

12. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Doesn't Gateway use up more battery on your 3DS as long as it's plugged in? This makes me kinda hate using my Gateway.