Homebrew Question with CFW on 11.2.0-35u

RJCline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found this guide online. https://3ds.guide/ someone also mentioned it in a thread I was reading about CFW. I never had CFW on my New Nintendo 3DS and would just like to ask a question and get somebody's input. This is not a "how do i do this" type of thing. The instructions look pretty easy to follow. Right now i just use homebrew through OOTHAX. It seems a lot of the things i would like to do on my 3DS requires CFW for like NTR (which i don't know what exactly that means or is but i assume its some kind of like cheat menu for certain games?) anyway. I would just like to know how NOT to brick my 3DS. As i'm skimming through the guide I seen something concerning like you can brick your 3Ds if you put it in sleep mode.I put my 3DS in sleep mode all the time just out of habit. Is this a specific firmware version that does this or would i be safe? I've like i said never done this before and how much things change so much and bugs that are fixed and what not its hard to keep up by myself how up to date everything is and if anyone has any input/ advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advanced.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you complete the installation of A9LH, the risk of a brick is almost nonexistent. The part of the guide that refers to not putting your 3DS into sleep mode refers to the N3DS, and it's only while you're on 2.1. The part of the guide that downgrades you to 2.1 is only temporary. By the end of the guide, you'll be on 11.2 with CFW and a permanent entrypoint through A9LH.

In other words, follow every single step of the guide carefully, and don't worry about any brick risk after you're done.

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
1)Dont skip any steps
2) the sleep mode thing its only on New 3DS on 2.1 firmware, you'll just be 5 minutes there before updating back

no_clue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't put it into sleep mode while on 2.1 After you finish the guide everything will work fine. First time doing the guide takes a lot of time, so take your time and don't skip steps.

RJCline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you complete the installation of A9LH, the risk of a brick is almost nonexistent. The part of the guide that refers to not putting your 3DS into sleep mode refers to the N3DS, and it's only while you're on 2.1. The part of the guide that downgrades you to 2.1 is only temporary. By the end of the guide, you'll be on 11.2 with CFW and a permanent entrypoint through A9LH.

In other words, follow every single step of the guide carefully, and don't worry about any brick risk after you're done.
1)Dont skip any steps
2) the sleep mode thing its only on New 3DS on 2.1 firmware, you'll just be 5 minutes there before updating back

Out of curiosity, the guide uses SoundHax. Now you all say not to skip steps which is understandable and I wouldn't do at all. But would this guide work using OOTHAX to access homebrew instead of soundhax? I mean as long as I have a way into homebrew i should be ok right?

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Out of curiosity, the guide uses SoundHax. Now you all say not to skip steps which is understandable and I wouldn't do at all. But would this guide work using OOTHAX to access homebrew instead of soundhax? I mean as long as I have a way into homebrew i should be ok right?
yes, you can

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OOTHAX should work fine, but it will probably be simpler for you to follow the guide as-is with SoundHax.

Edit: If you already have access to OOTHAX and know how to launch the Homebrew Launcher, you should follow the guide starting at this point: https://3ds.guide/decrypt9-(homebrew-launcher)

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Zidapi

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ya this guide is pretty detailed. Seems like its going to take me awhile to get all this going.
the longest part is making a NANDbackup in the decrypt9 stage , doing the CTRNAND Transfeer and restoring your NAND Backup. rest of it goes really fast espically if you pre-emptivly download everything.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's also worth mentioning that updating a N3DS via System Settings from 2.1 also results in a brick. So make a NANDmin.bin and restore (keep a9lh) from said backup once you're done. It's all in the guide but like I said, I think it's worth mentioning.

Reactions: RJCline

RJCline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's also worth mentioning that updating a N3DS via System Settings from 2.1 also results in a brick. So make a NANDmin.bin and restore (keep a9lh) from said backup once you're done. It's all in the guide but like I said, I think it's worth mentioning.
thnak you i appreciate your input. Luckily i have a backup New nintendo 3ds LL just incase anything goes wrong but i love my galaxy N3DS and my girlfriend wont like me taking over "her" 3ds haha so hope this goes well. Ill prolly start the process once i look into CFW alil bit more and see if its like really worth the process of doing it and risks. I heard you can download games and play them without buying them idk if thats true but if it is online features prolly wouldnt work. Is that correct?

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thnak you i appreciate your input. Luckily i have a backup New nintendo 3ds LL just incase anything goes wrong but i love my galaxy N3DS and my girlfriend wont like me taking over "her" 3ds haha so hope this goes well. Ill prolly start the process once i look into CFW alil bit more and see if its like really worth the process of doing it and risks. I heard you can download games and play them without buying them idk if thats true but if it is online features prolly wouldnt work. Is that correct?
The best feature of A9LH is the means to recover from anything going wrong. Some homebrew can brick your console if you don't know what you're doing. Other "perks" of A9LH is being able to use freeshop(clone of the eShop), install any CIA with FBI, certain homebrew only works with CFW, VC injects, etc. There's a lot of advantages over any other method(to date at least) for the 3DS.

And what "you've heard" is correct. That's what freeshop does.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use freeShop to download free games, and you can feel free to play online with them as long as it's not before they're officially released. Otherwise, there is a good chance you will be banned.

RJCline

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best feature of A9LH is the means to recover from anything going wrong. Some homebrew can brick your console if you don't know what you're doing. Other "perks" of A9LH is being able to use freeshop(clone of the eShop), install any CIA with FBI, certain homebrew only works with CFW, VC injects, etc. There's a lot of advantages over any other method(to date at least) for the 3DS.

And what "you've heard" is correct. That's what freeshop does.
why does freeshops thread state its only used to download games you had already bought before?

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why does freeshops thread state its only used to download games you had already bought before?
It allows you to browse and search games, and download ones you own (i.e. games for which you have the titlekey).
It's just saying you need to have the encTitleKeys.bin in order to view and download games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay