[Question] What is the best controller I can find?

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
My other PC controllers have just gone bad.
My SnakeByte iDroid:con's build quality has gone bad,
my SNES-USB controller is plastic-y,
my XBOX-S controller with a USB-Adapter doesn't support every program, with the D-Pad being in an unconfortable position
and my NES Mega Man controller has no D-Pad pivit.

This is what I'm looking for:
A controller with decent build quality,
a D-Pad that's either PlayStation-stylish or just a regular D-Pad with a nice pivit,
good buttons that don't get stiff (*cough*, SnakeByte),
Bluetooth functionality,
all your well known buttons (A, B, X, Y, Start, Select, D-Pad, left and right Joysticks, L1 and R1, L2 and R2)
and it has to be on a budget of $30.

That's a lot of details, I already took a look at some nice controllers, but they can be expensive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"my XBOX-S controller with a USB-Adapter doesn't support every program"
Yet others do? The xbox line are typically going to appear as a USB controller. I should also say there are software programs to help with that -- all those joypad to keyboard programs (not sure what the kids are using these days but back when it was joy2key) should sort most such issues.

Anyway I am going to ignore your list of requirements because you said nothing about microswitches (think a decent computer mouse). Microswitches are awesome and nobody that has ever tried a good setup there has ever wanted to go back to the carbon pads or dome/tact switches, one time someone had to as the clicking drove their mrs insane when playing in bed but that is about it.

Also "pivit" is not a word.
You can have a pivot which is where an item rotates around a point (imaginary or otherwise). A badly thought out one of these is probably most of what leads to people describing dpads as mushy.
You can have a divot which is a small hole/depression in something (think a big ball came down and pushed in a bit of material). If it is something you want and the thing in front of you does not have it I would normally suggest you get a small round ended (sometimes called an engraver) rotary tool bit and make one.

Finally ew bluetooth. You know wires are where it is at.

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
With the XBOX-S controller I ment the 1st-generation controller that took a redesign for how f****ng terrible the original controller was.
Also, after making a Google search, I ment "Central Pivot".

By saying "ew Bluetooth", I thought it was a good thing. Sure, there is some lagg, but as long it isn't noticable, it's fine.
I guess removing Bluetooth is fine, and after searching myself, I think I found the perfect controller:

speedlink-strike-nx-wired-gamepad-pc--zwart--pc-gaming_2836923785.jpg

A Speedlink Stike NX (Wired)
Decent build-quality (according to YouTube), a PlayStation-Stylish D-Pad, (hopefully) buttons that aren't stiff, all the buttons I need and it's only $25 on the store I can buy it on.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
second hand dualshock 4
I was thinking of mentioning the ipega 9083 (which works, but is pretty weird for this intended purpose), but really...this. I have a first hand DS4, and it's easily the most comfortable controller I know (note that I don't collect these things). I also learned the hard way that you don't want to skim budget on these things: budget controllers aren't as comfy, and in the end they break faster (if they break twice as fast as a good one, that good one at 1.5 times the cost is effectively cheaper in the long run).

grey72

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was thinking of mentioning the ipega 9083 (which works, but is pretty weird for this intended purpose), but really...this. I have a first hand DS4, and it's easily the most comfortable controller I know (note that I don't collect these things). I also learned the hard way that you don't want to skim budget on these things: budget controllers aren't as comfy, and in the end they break faster (if they break twice as fast as a good one, that good one at 1.5 times the cost is effectively cheaper in the long run).
Another thing to consider is support, something that's popular will have a bigger userbase solving problems - driver issues, game compatibility etc

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think the playstation dpad is a good design but to each their own.

That shape... it could be good but I have been burned by ones like that in the past. I would have to hold it first, possibly also use it for 8 or so hours in a stretch.

As for bluetooth like what you like. I don't like wireless, especially something as fraught with annoyances as bluetooth. I don't like having to sort batteries. Wired sorts both of those problems for me. If you desire wireless though then bluetooth is the obvious choice.

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands

Ohh, so that's what that thing is called where you can stick your phone in!
I really like the idea and they may be around me in town. I'll put them on my list.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
just go for a dualshock 4 or xbox one controller, whichever you prefer.
the build quality of official products is the best you can get, albeit a bit pricey but well worth it since they will last way longer, have better ergonomics and feel just right unlike cheaper ones.

but if I had to go for another controller it would be an 8bitdo one. those are the best third party wireless controllers you'll find, but as good as they are they suffer from the more common problem non-official controllers have, a slightly more sensitive d-pad. is not so bad and you can get used to it, but it is definitely there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?