ROM Hack Question regarding some old FPS ports on the DS

Browncoat1984

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm relatively new to the DS Homebrew scene...being a big fan of old FPS games like Quake and Doom those are of course some of the first games I loaded up when I got my R4DS. Anyway, I have a few questions regarding those games:

For DoomDS, I want to re-configure the controls where the touch screen looks around and moves forward/backward (already set), Y is strafe left, A is strafe right, B opens doors, X switches weapos, right shoulder fires, and left shoulder runs. Anyway, the problem I have is that I can't seem to reconfigure the Y button properly so that it won't switch weapons. Does anybody know how to do that? Also, how exactly can I edit the .cfg file to make those changes properly.

Another question I had regarding DoomDS is is there a way to be able to have four copies of the game to load Doom/Doom2/Final Doom on my DS rather than having to go in and rename doom2.wad to doom.wad and so on to play? And does anybody know if there has been any progress regarding getting music to work in the game?

My question regarding QuakeDS is similar, what values do I need to set in the .cfg for a similar control scheme, where the touch screen looks, X is move forward, B is jump, Y and A are strafe left and right, right shoulder fires, left shoulder jumps.

Regarding the Rise of the Tried port...for getting music to work properly he says that you need to convert the old midi files to IMA-ADPCM WAV files, mono, 22050 Hz. Anybody know of a good program to do this with?

My last question - I know there's a port of Duke Nukem 3D at least there WAS one...I remember downloading it, but the file I downloaded was corrupt. Now I've been looking all over for a link to it and can't seem to find one...does anybody know where I can find it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question 1: Sorry.

Question 2: tweak and recompile the rom but you could set up some scripts in DSlinux.

3) IMA-ADPCM is built into windows so you do not need to find a codec.
This just leaves midi to wave, loopback would work for me but I am lazy like that. Audacity has midi capabilities as I recall.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

4) Duke Nukem 3D:
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/

Browncoat1984

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. I actually figured out how to edit the controls to what I want in Doom and Quake via the config file, it just took a bit of time. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is whenever I try to remap the Y button, it doesn't always respond instantly when I try strafing.

The Duke Nukem 3D DS site you linked to I had actually found but seems to be not working right now, do you know of another place it can be downloaded? (I haven't found any)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-