question regarding sd cards on wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by stickybit, Mar 16, 2010.

Mar 16, 2010
  1. stickybit
    OP

Member stickybit GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ok i have 3.2 e so i dont have 4.0 sdhc compatability but if i get a larger mem card say 16g
    will homebrew utilize it or will it still just see it as a 2g or 3 or whatever the wiis limit was for 3.2e
    thanks

2. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
  3. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    if the app supports sdhc I would think it should work if not just upgrade to 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    afaik, the system menu has nothing to do with Homebrew SD compatibility

but u should really consider upgrading to 4.1 or 4.2, there's no reason not to, just do ur reason first

just be sure to do ur research first, a helpful tool for offline updating is Nus Auto Downloader

5. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    im rather happ on 3.2e... but if i wanted i could buy a 16g sd card and i could fill it with n64,snes,roms etc and it would work on homebrew?

6. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    theres an sdhc compatibility list out there

7. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Just thought I'd point out that if you are only intending on using it for homebrew then you would get more gigs per pound with a USB pendrive, fook for fifty quid you could get a decent HDD.

Say for example you went to Argos (it's not the cheapest place to get either but hear me out)

For a 16gb SD card that will work with everything you'll be about £50
    Well at argos you can get a 500GB HDD for that price (with a free 4gb pendrive too).

Looking at local shops in my area, you could get a 500GB HDD(plus free 4bg pendrive), an 8GB and have £5 change. Shopping online would get you an even better deal.
    Unless there is a very specific reason to want an SD card then imho your mad for considering it [​IMG]

In my opinion you should upgrade to 4.2 (because in the future it might be harder to upgrade, or harder to find the required files, plus you can do more and faster) and then get a HDD because you can do all the same things with it that you can do with an SD card and more. You will also prolong the life of your Wii DVD drive which we all know is the weakest link in the Wii console.

The only reason to go with an SD card would be something like you want to also use it with a camera or something, if you don't have a reason like this you will regret this advise. You will regret it even more when your Wii drive dies.

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    yes, SDHC support in emulators has nothing to do with system menu version, it's build in the application

9. Shonk

Newcomer Shonk Advanced Member

United States
    Just take a bootmii backup of the nand at 3.2
    and goto 4.2

stop being such a homo