Question on 1:1 USB Drive Copy

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by quedijo, Jan 19, 2017.

1. quedijo
    OP

quedijo Newbie

Newcomer
    May 21, 2009
    United States
    So I finally have my WiiU set up how I like it and have downloaded the games I wan't and some more.

It has taken a long while, as much as I love the Brazilian method, the current method of Download, copy, install, is time consuming.

I wan't to buy two more WiiUs to gift one to nephew and put another one in the kids room.

I know how flash writes work and just doing a copy won't work. Will 1:1 Images of the same make and model of USB sticks work? Or does each WiiU make every USB stick "unique"?

Either way, I will try it anyways to see if that works, if someone else hasn't tried already. Expecting it not to. So I expect to take another 20+ hours to set up those WiiUs.

2. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Every stick is unique. Making an image of a flash drive and flashing it to a secondary drive won't work unfortunately.

quedijo likes this.
  3. quedijo
    OP

quedijo Newbie

Newcomer
    May 21, 2009
    United States
    Dang it. Thanks sup3rgh0st.

Now that I think about it, that would be stupid of them not to think about. Otherwise there would be torrents of IMG files on the internet

A side question. I'm going to add a second USB Stick on my WiiU, do I need to take out the other USB stick when installing games to USB from WUPinstaller?

Last edited by quedijo, Jan 19, 2017
  4. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    France
    Wii U has a unique key associated with every hardware, so when games are installed on a WiiU's USB it is tied to that WiiU Hardware.

So officially there is no method. Maybe in the near future with sinature patch there could be a way to "liberate" games so that they can be accessible from any hardware.

5. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Ok... I think it's possible.
    Just dump OTP & Seeprom from the first Wii U, then create a redNAND on the 2nd and the 3rd and replace their OTP&Seeprom with the ones from the first Wii U.
    This should work.

Or you can try to decrypt the first Wii U USB image,
    encrypt it with 2nd Wii U USB key and flash it to the 2nd USB stick,
    encrypt it with 3rd Wii U USB key and flash it to the 3rd USB stick.

Last edited by C0mm4nd_, Jan 19, 2017