Hacking [Question] Is Downgrading Worth It?

RoyalLemons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uh... I did it!? :D

Attachments

• 12511875_1003889386316156_814641138_n.jpg
    12511875_1003889386316156_814641138_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 199

HeyItsJono

Breath of Fresh Heir
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently formatted and reupdated my 3ds because I didn't like emuNAND (I uninstalled it the right way though) because I couldn't figure out how to get into BrowserHax (it wouldn't work on sysNAND after I installed the MenuHax on the EmuNAND) I DID HOWEVER create a sysNAND backup! I lost IronHax :,( Can I still restore the 3ds using the backup? Also how? I tried using Gateway and It said I needed a gateway.dg file where do I place it on my SD card?
If you have a backup of your SysNAND from before you formatted it and lost Ironhax, etc then I'm pretty sure you can redowngrade, restore the backup then reupgrade and you should have everything back. Alternatively, just redownload Ironfall via the Old eShop Downloader homebrew and reinstall the ironhax save with ironhax installer.

I downgraded, then upgraded my EmuNAND to the latest version. It is completely worth it in my opinion!
It's defs worth it on O3DS considering EmuNAND will always be up to date so there's no downside. On N3DS though it's such a hassle to not be able to play cartridge games like smash if they need cryptofixing/fw spoofing and to have to find the right .CIAs for everything.

D

Deleted User

I've been having problems with the old downloader, it wasn't working recently

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you guys know if Zelda Triforce Heroes requires fw 9.6+? If yes, is there a cryptofixed version? I have a SKY3DS and a N3DS, so the point to get the downgrade is to play the new games that SKY3DS can't run. Zelda is one of them.
Cartridge games don't require cryptofix, only FW spoof

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of people are freaking out about downgrading before next week but may I ask, why? I know that the 10.4 update is likely to come out which would be horrible if you softbrick after nintendo release the update but all 3ds users are currently on a firmware that is hackable so why not give devs time to develop sysupdater/memchunkhax2 exploit better? If we wait on 10.3 or less is there not a chance that sometime in the near future we would have better ways to downgrade?

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of people are freaking out about downgrading before next week but may I ask, why? I know that the 10.4 update is likely to come out which would be horrible if you softbrick after nintendo release the update but all 3ds users are currently on a firmware that is hackable so why not give devs time to develop sysupdater/memchunkhax2 exploit better? If we wait on 10.3 or less is there not a chance that sometime in the near future we would have better ways to downgrade?

I agree and that is why I'm still deciding if it is the right thing to do, there has been many reports of memchunkhax2 coming soon, and after that FBI will be officially updated to support it so says @Steveice10
So I'll probably stay on 10.3 for now

Reactions: naivegirl2411

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because there is not much they can do to improve sysUpdater and memchunkhax2 being wonky isn't really a safety problem, it's only used to gain ARM11 kernel access, once you have access memchunkhax is out of the picture.

BothyBhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you guys know if Zelda Triforce Heroes requires fw 9.6+? If yes, is there a cryptofixed version? I have a SKY3DS and a N3DS, so the point to get the downgrade is to play the new games that SKY3DS can't run. Zelda is one of them.
cryptofixed version of tri heroes available at the other place.....works perfectly.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say wait for KTM as is just around the corner. They are finishing testing and some tpp related mishap. The release was planned today, but delayed a bit. They are trying his best to get it before 10.4 update for softbrick casualties and avoid a possible memchunkhax2 fix.

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
Because there is not much they can do to improve sysUpdater and memchunkhax2 being wonky isn't really a safety problem, it's only used to gain ARM11 kernel access, once you have access memchunkhax is out of the picture.

True but it is unstable right now. I feel that given enough time the devs could get arm11 access more reliably and therefore anyone stuck on 10.3 after next week would definitely have a way to downgrade to get arm9 access for cfw etc. This makes me wonder why people are freaking out, as the sysupdater and modified fbi are in no way final

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
There are still Chinese users brick their 3DSes from downgrading.
Since no one backup their NAND with Raspberry Pi or other hardware method, their bricking are irreversible.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I can only speak for myself, and for me, it was definitely worth. Not only does it bring the possibilities of piracy if that's something you desire, but it also makes things easier in general now that it's so open. I still have every single data that I've had since my first system in 2011 carried over, every entry in the activity log and records are available now on my EmuNAND on my N3DSXL where I can use Gateway and rxTools, and also access all online features, online play, game updates, eshop (including all my previous downloads) etc. Just a win situation.

Insidious611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not on an N3DS myself, so I'm not quite sure what it's like (I know you can't do >9.5 emunand on N3DS so that's a concern), but having downgraded and CFWed two O3DSes it was a fun experience (if a tad nerve wracking at times) and totally worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123: Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?