Hacking [QUESTION] How can this NAND be backed up?

• Thread starter Deleted_389188
  • Start date
  • Views 937
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted_389188

OP
I had my friend "A9LH" their old 3DS and we got to the point in Plailect's guide where we created a redNAND through emuNAND9 and reformatted their sysNAND. However, when I had them make a backup of the redNAND, I found out that the SD card they were using was only 2GB so the file couldn't be made. sysNAND has already been reformatted which means this redNAND (which is linked to their NNID and has their legit games and stuff) remains only on the SD card. So, how can I get this redNAND backed up? My friend has no access to a Windows computer and the emuNAND tool I found for OS X didn't work, and I'm not familiar with how to properly image a storage device on Macs. I'm hoping I've glossed over something obvious.

Alternatively, can my friend initiate a system transfer from this redNAND on their O3DS and transfer it to a redNAND on their N3DS? Both systems have 11.0 with A9LH. The only problem I might see with that is that the "Nintendo 3DS" folder won't fit on the source redNAND's SD card and I don't know if that'll cause a problem with the transfer or if I can just put that folder on the target redNAND's SD card and expect it to all work.

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted_389188

OP
Unfortunately, you'll have to set up a Windows Virtual Machine.
Otherwise, use a larger capacity SD card (they're pretty easy to find).

I thought about that but I'm not too familiar with how that works. Will have to learn if it comes to that I guess
They have access to a 16GB SD card, it's just a matter of preserving/backing up the NAND that's tied to this card

TechAndrew

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought about that but I'm not too familiar with how that works. Will have to learn if it comes to that I guess
They have access to a 16GB SD card, it's just a matter of preserving/backing up the NAND that's tied to this card

In that case, you'd have to use Windows. Probably someone you know has a Windows computer you could borrow.
If not, you'd have to set up a virtual machine (Getting Windows .iso Files is not illegal; Cracking them to circumvent activation, however, is illegal.)]
Once you have acquired an .iso copy of Windows, simply get Virtual Box, make a new VM, call it anything, create a "Virtual Hard Disk" and attach the .iso file (similar to "Mounting" a DVD). Start the VM once you're ready and Windows installation will begin. Follow the steps and instructions, etc.

Last edited by TechAndrew,

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to just make an image of the sd card with some tool, and make sure its 2gb. It won't be just rednand, but it can somewhat get the job done...

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to just make an image of the sd card with some tool, and make sure its 2gb. It won't be just rednand, but it can somewhat get the job done...

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on osx, with rednand, you can just use dd in a terminal to backup the rednand. but im too drunk to remember what offset and such you needs. someone unix savy and sober should opefully chime in and help

D

Deleted_389188

OP
Thanks for the replies! So obviously I'll need to learn how imaging and such works on a Mac for one option.

Can I do a system transfer from one system to another (emuNAND to emuNAND) even if the "Nintendo 3DS" folder won't fit on the source emuNAND's SD card? If that's possible then I'll obviously just go with the easier route

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1