Hacking Question: GC backuploader versus Wii backuploader

CooLKasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was just wondering, the GC backuploader runs perfectly smooth, even all the videos.
The wii backuploader stutters when playing video.
Ofcourse i know GC games are a lot less demanding in mem usage, and hence load faster,
but how come the video in the wii backup loader stutters and the video in GC games does not stutter?
Does anyone know?
wacko.gif

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Normal Wii retail games (and backups trough a modchip) run at 6x dvd speed, so games (and so also the movie compression) are designed for that speed.
But Wii backups through a softmod, only run at 3x speed. So for some movies, that's just not fast enough

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Golfman560 said:
Retail Gamecube games I believe were run at 3x on a Gamecuybe, and thats why they don't stutter on the Wii because its at 3x also.
Yup, that's why. The gc backup launcher loads it at 3x and the game doesn't stutter because it runs backups at 3x which is the same speed the wii runs retail gc disks when in gamecube mode.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope Wiigator will improve both Wiigator backup launcher and the gc backup launcher to loads its at x6 speed someday.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
I hope Wiigator will improve both Wiigator backup launcher and the gc backup launcher to loads its at x6 speed someday.
Impossible, unless we hack the dvd drive... But then again you can't write to the dvd drives firmware. So the answer will be no. And don't come with the "Anything is possible, you guys all said that a gc loader would be almost impossible and a few months later one was released."). This is a hardware limitation. The drive recognizes backups as video dvds and the wii's dvd drive firmware says that video dvd's run at 3x. And the dvd drive's firmware can't be changed.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
I would like to hear that from Wiigator first.
smile.gif

You'll hear the extact same thing. In order to get the drive to read DVDs as retail games we would either have to buy new DVD-burners that can write the small code on the inner part of a disc, or hack the Wii drive firmware, which I doubt will ever happen. The only way to read at 6x is to get a modchip.

eric_4_life

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
david432111 said:
RockmanForte said:
Impossible, unless we hack the dvd drive... But then again you can't write to the dvd drives firmware. So the answer will be no. And don't come with the "Anything is possible, you guys all said that a gc loader would be almost impossible and a few months later one was released."). This is a hardware limitation. The drive recognizes backups as video dvds and the wii's dvd drive firmware says that video dvd's run at 3x. And the dvd drive's firmware can't be changed.

Well then how come using a mod chip allows DVD games to run at 6x?

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
eric_4_life said:
david432111 said:
RockmanForte said:

The DVD Drvie's hardware has restrictions, so the DVD exploit we are using to run backups uses the drives 'DVD Video' mode, loading only at 3x. Modchips (drivechips actually) override the part of the hardware that checks the disc in the first place, thus tricking the Drive into thinking it has a legit game.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
eric_4_life said:
david432111 said:
RockmanForte said:

Modchips fool the dvd drive in to thinking it's a real game.

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
Maybe Wiigator find a way to fool the dvd drive into thinking it's a real game ? Perhaps.
Nope, impossible. The dvd drive reads a special serial code printed on every original wii game disk. You can't bypass that no matter what, it's in the drive's firmware.

CooLKasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guys, i know all about the hardware limitations, no need to discuss that over.
Remains the question why video on gcube games is non stuttering and video in wii games is stuttering.
If that has to do with the way it has been coded (for 3x drive or for 6x drive) that's an explanation for me. Although is seriously doubt this...

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
CooLKasT said:
Guys, i know all about the hardware limitations, no need to discuss that over.
Remains the question why video on gcube games is non stuttering and video in wii games is stuttering.
If that has to do with the way it has been coded (for 3x drive or for 6x drive) that's an explanation for me. Although is seriously doubt this...

Why doubt it? That's just how it works. Normal games are read from DVD at a speed of 6x1350KB/s. So the games expect to be able to send that much data to the Wii every second, including video data. But when the Wii only reads at 3X speed, it just doesn't read fast enough to get enough video data to display the movie correctly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol +1