Hardware QUESTION : External O3DS Battery Charger ?

Aldoria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I have a 3DS, but the charging port is dead, like the circuit is scratched, there are no way to solder a new port and make it to work. So I was thinking, is it possible to buy an external 3DS battery charger so I can use it ? I know it's not convinient but I don't mind, I'll be casually playing it and I don't mine unscrew and screw the back everytime I wanna charge it !

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a 3DS, but the charging port is dead, like the circuit is scratched, there are no way to solder a new port and make it to work. So I was thinking, is it possible to buy an external 3DS battery charger so I can use it ? I know it's not convinient but I don't mind, I'll be casually playing it and I don't mine unscrew and screw the back everytime I wanna charge it !
Get the official charging cradle u notice the 2 brass pads to the right and left of the charging port yea it's for the cradle

Reactions: emcintosh

Aldoria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Get the official charging cradle u notice the 2 brass pads to the right and left of the charging port yea it's for the cradle
they aren't working neither, the whole charing port and pins are unusable, already thought of that

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3Ds batteries are 3.7 volts I believe and I think the pins are on the side, so you can probably use a universal camera battery charger with adjustable pins like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-intelligent-Charger-portable-function/dp/B00TQ9NP1W

Maybe find a broken 3DS being sold for parts and swap the charging board. I see you can buy the whole board for a n3ds, but I haven’t seen one for an old 3DS.

Aldoria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The 3Ds batteries are 3.7 volts I believe and I think the pins are on the side, so you can probably use a universal camera battery charger with adjustable pins like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-intelligent-Charger-portable-function/dp/B00TQ9NP1W

Maybe find a broken 3DS being sold for parts and swap the charging board. I see you can buy the whole board for a n3ds, but I haven’t seen one for an old 3DS.
oh, that might work actually, thank you ! I'm going to try that :)

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty much any lithium/LiPo charger will do. You only need to make sure the charging current is not too high. Should be about the same as the official charger max. if you don't want the battery to wear faster.

yaum

Trophies
XP
Country
France
FYI, there is no separate charging board for o3DS, there is only the mainboard.

Regarding usability, I'd really try to fix the board so you can use the charging port. While I understand all the pads are dead / scratched beyond repair, I'd try to follow the power traces on the board, and solder enameled wires from the closest via to the right pin on the connector. On top of that, if even the large solder points of the connector are removed, you can glue it down with epoxy (or glue).

This would take you more work, make the board ugly, but would really keep the original functionality, and ultimately be less risky than using any other solution.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    TheLiamChannel @ TheLiamChannel: hi everyone!