[Question] Editing mm/bch/etc models

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Favna, May 17, 2016.

1. Favna
    OP

Favna #PCMasterRace

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    Edit: ignore title -> should be obj files. But I can't edit the title ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pokemon commonly handles .mm or .bch files for models. These files can be exported with Ohana3DS, but I cannot find any method / tutorial on how to modify these files to get completely different models.

I have already installed Autodesk Maya which was recommended by squee666 but that one cannot open the before mentioned formats.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on what kind of software to use for editing the models.

Edit: Ohana exports obj files which I forgot all about. Now my question is still what software I can best use to edit the obj files as Maya seems to refuse to save them. it gives this error:

[​IMG]

Last edited by Favna, May 17, 2016
  2. Thelostrune

Thelostrune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    I believe you export to .obj from Ohana3DS and import the same format.

3. Favna
    OP

Favna #PCMasterRace

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    Oh wow... I feel so stupid now. I completely forgot about exporting them as obj.

Edit:
    Tried some basic edits on the obj in Maya but it refuses to save it. In contrary to what I said before I am still looking for good software to edit those obj files then. Updating OP to reflect this.

Last edited by Favna, May 17, 2016
  4. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I use blender as it is free and once you get the hang of it, it is super easy to use. However, I think I know why. Ohana 3ds exports them vertex by vertex. So it goes like:
    V x.val y.val z.val
    VN x.val y.val z.val
    VT # #

But the obj format usually goes in bulk. So it could be 97 vertexes and then the corresponding VN and VTs. So you may need to edit them by hand or wait until they fix Ohana or someone makes an automated converter

5. Rayzark

Rayzark giooig

Nov 11, 2015
    Italy
    Roma
    Maya can save them, each part of the 3d model. Just go into Object mode, select one part and then press on export selection (in the file section).