[question] Backup/Restore GBA Saves

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kamaliw, Apr 19, 2019.

1. kamaliw
    OP

kamaliw Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2016
    United States
    hey so, what would be the best way to backup/restore (and edit) the saves of cartridge GBA games?

I've been trying to read up on it this week, and it seems like the way to go about it is get a DS flashcart and install a program someone made. I'm not familiar with flashcarts, I'm really only used to CFW on the 3DS, is there a specific one that would be best suited for this?

2. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    well, you can't use a 3DS because there is no GBA slot, so there is no way to connect a gba cart to a 3ds..
    you want to backup\restore from retail cartridges right?

you can use a DS or DS lite + DS flashcart, then you will be able to use a tool like rudolphs gba backup tool

you can use a wii\gamecube + gba + gba to gamecube cable (i never tried this method but i believe it works)

you can get a usb carts reader that works with GBC and GB games as well. i own this one: https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/gbxcart-rw/
    another usb cart reader is joe bags but i dont own or know much about it, as well other cool guys that made devices like this

i am not sure if i am missing other methods

kamaliw likes this.
  3. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    kamaliw likes this.
  4. kamaliw
    OP

kamaliw Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2016
    United States
    yeah of course, I just mentioned that to say, "this is where my familiarity with this stuff is at" haha

thanks you two, is there any specific flashcart that I should get? like is there an agreed upon "best one" or anything like that?

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Not an specific.But you can choose between "original" Cards (to purchase in "regular" Stores) or Clone Cards (from Aliexpress and now also on Amazon).
    The difference is only to the Kernel/Software you have to use.
    For Clones (mainly from China) its usually a little "difficult" to find the right Software.

You can look through the Forum here,there are many excellent recommandations from well known and experienced users.:)

Good luck.:)

Personel Note:

Last edited by alexander1970, Apr 19, 2019
    kamaliw likes this.
  6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    There's no universally best flashcard, but the easiest to find good one is the r4ids.cn brand
    (other good models include the original non-SDHC R4, the Acekard 2i, the DSTwo - but they're discontinued)

kamaliw likes this.
  7. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    well the best that people seem to recommend is ones from the r4ids.cn brand
    keep attention to the website. all r4 cards have similar names and they can change just one letter and be other brand...

https://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575

Ryccardo and kamaliw like this.