Question about Wii U gamepad controls on Wii Games

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by joepassive, Jan 11, 2014.

1. joepassive
    OP

joepassive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2012
    Iceland
    If Nintendo let's us use the GAMEPAD controls on Wii Games
    We still wouldn't be able to do all these movement with the GAMEPAD by itself, right?

2. Dork

Dork Newbie

The Gamepad can't be used to control Wii games. If you're playing Wii games on the Gamepad screen you still need a separate Wii remote.

3. joepassive
    OP

joepassive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2012
    Iceland
    i asked if. the question is for someone who might know!

4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Well, try playing Skyward Swords with anything other than a wiimote and nunchuck.

5. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Should Nintendo ever allow the GamePad to control Wii titles, then I believe it would work in some sort of classic Controller like fashion, where it only takes the input of the buttons and not the gyroscope. Just wouldn't make sense waving the GamePad around. If you've ever played Nintendo Land, you know you can tilt the camera angle by tilting the GamePad itself. I've always felt that to be very gimmicky, but cool only for the first time. I far prefer using the right analog stick in Nintendo Land to control the camera angle. I'm sure most would agree.

6. Chiodo

Chiodo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2009
    United States
    I really want to play fire emblem from the game pad.

7. sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    The controls could be imitated using the stylus and touch screen combined with button presses (sort of like when you point the wiimote at the screen and press A). Waving actions could be imitated by moving the stylus around. Wouldn't want to play Just Dance with it though :) (although it would be funny to watch)

8. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Well, if we're speaking hypothetically (and we are) after letting the gamepad controls become visible to the IOS in vWii mode, since it would already take a lot of hacky translation in the IOS to get a Wii game to think that the gamepad's controls were really a classic controller/wiimote/nunchuck/pointer/drawing pad/whatever ... it seems technically possible (although extremely uncomfortable for the user in many cases and definitely a LOT or work for Nintendo to put it in practice).

9. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    It's possible that Nintendo's going to make the GamePad work for the controller-based games though as for the motion games perhaps it could work with the stylus somehow?

Almost all games that I like of Wii's library are used with a controller, it was a selective choice of games I did I didn't go out and buy shovelware crap even if they cost next to nothing.

10. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    It's a moot point. Nintendo is not going to waste time making the vWii compatible with the gamepad controller's wifi transmitter. If they were going to do anything (and I don't really think they will) it would be making the Wii U Pro controller vWii compatible (treated like a CC/CCpro).

If you really insist on holding your breath, do it hoping hackers will make it possible, not Nintendo.