Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Generally, it takes a LOT of mods to be able to move warez installed WADs to the SD Menu.

My Wii is hacked beyond recognition, and I don't even have that ability.

EDIT: Moving them isn't the problem, it's launching them without the WAD also being installed on the Wii.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? I've always been able to move Wiiware to the SD with a standard softmod installation.
I assume you are also able to launch it? What did you use to softmod your wii, the ModMii Wizard?
Yes. But even when Modmii wasn't even created, in 2009 or so I was able to move and launch channels. I never did anything special to do so, I just followed the guides...

edit: Maybe the Wii doesn't have enough space in the system to launch the channel?

For example, when launching Majora's Mask (it's around 200-300 blocks I believe) from the Sd card, the Wii's internal memory has to have at least the amount of space that the game takes up. It's temporarily using Wii space while the game is running, then puts it back. If there is 100 blocks free on the Wii, and you try to run a 300 block game from the SD, it simply won't work.)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can launch installed WiiWare and VC games from your SD card menu if you have a patched system menu IOS. If you're having issues, your system menu IOS probably isn't patched. It's recommended you use ModMii to install the recommended IOS files, including a patched system menu IOS.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo supports moving VC/WW games to the SD card since... 4.1? 4.0? I dunno...
However, when you launch them they are copied to the NAND again before launching. So you need the free blocks before you can launch the game.
Its a handy feature nevertheless though, since you can just stack away all games on the SD card and just keep whatever-amount-of-blocks-the-biggest-game-needs free, instead of needing free space for ALL your games.

If you want to launch them from the SD card without letting the Wii first copy them to the NAND you need to make some modifications which Im not familiar with.

But, doesnt usb loader GX support installing VC/WW games on its partial NAND emu?

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can launch installed WiiWare and VC games from your SD card menu if you have a patched system menu IOS. If you're having issues, your system menu IOS probably isn't patched. It's recommended you use ModMii to install the recommended IOS files, including a patched system menu IOS.
I don't have a patched SM and I can moved them too. I'm talking about wads installed with say, Wad Manager, and then moving them with the Wii's Data Management utility.
I started a thread a while back where this was discussed. The overall conclusion was that this depends on how the wad was created. Apparently, some packaging apps modify the tmd and then the Wii will not allow you to run these games when transferred to SD card (unless you have a patched SM). However, if the wad was packed correctly (whatever that means), then you don't need a patched SM.
So go ahead and try it, and if it does not work your two options are:
- get another wad that is properly dumped
- patch the SM

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a patched SM and I can moved them too. I'm talking about wads installed with say, Wad Manager, and then moving them with the Wii's Data Management utility.
I started a thread a while back where this was discussed. The overall conclusion was that this depends on how the wad was created. Apparently, some packaging apps modify the tmd and then the Wii will not allow you to run these games when transferred to SD card (unless you have a patched SM). However, if the wad was packed correctly (whatever that means), then you don't need a patched SM.
So go ahead and try it, and if it does not work your two options are:
- get another wad that is properly dumped
- patch the SM
But you will still want your SM patched anyway from the brick recovery options, that's why ModMii does it.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you will still want your SM patched anyway from the brick recovery options, that's why ModMii does it.
Is that for Priiloader or brick protection beyond that?
I never got to patch mine, once I realized I could just copy the games to the SD card.
Ultimately, I use forwarder ISO's to launch wiiware, so it wasn't necessary for me.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Is that for Priiloader or brick protection beyond that?
I never got to patch mine, once I realized I could just copy the games to the SD card.
Ultimately, I use forwarder ISO's to launch wiiware, so it wasn't necessary for me.
It's for running recovery discs without a modchip, to prevent region changed Korean Wii's from bricking if you (stupidly) update past 4.1, and prevent bricks if a new Wii downgraded below 3.4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo