Question About SDFormatter

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Mulsiphix, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Mulsiphix
    OP

Mulsiphix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I know quite a few folks use SDFormatter for their SD Cards. I had a question about the results of a format I was hoping some fellow users might be able to chime in about. I'm trying to determine whether my card is being QUICK or FULL formatted.

This is SD Formatter with my card inserted.
    [​IMG]

These are the settings I am using. Specifically I have Format Type set to FULL.
    [​IMG]

This is the result window after I format the card. Note that it says QUICK format.
    [​IMG]

I am confused. It looks like the card is being formatted using the QUICK option, despite that the settings being set to FULL before the format. They still say FULL when I check them directly after the format. It only takes about three seconds to format this 30GB SD card. That seems pretty darn fast for a FULL format. So do you guys think the card is being QUICK formatted? If so, am I doing anything wrong?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    The result window already answered your question, it didn't do full format because your card reader doesn't support it.

Unless you are trying to delete sensitive data for good, there is no point in doing full format (it wears out the memory card faster).

Mulsiphix likes this.
  3. Mulsiphix
    OP

Mulsiphix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I didn't realize "Flash Erase" meant full format. The only reason I'm so keen on full formatting is because numerous guides (for the Wii) emphasize how important it is to always do a full format. If it isn't important (no sensitive data to protect, hide, or truly erase that I care about) I'd be happy to extend the life of my card. Thank you very much :lol:.