Question about ROMs and CycloDS

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by afterburn999, Apr 13, 2009.

Apr 13, 2009
  1. afterburn999
    OP

Newcomer afterburn999 Member

Canada
    I ordered a Cyclo and it should be here by Wednesday and i wanted to know if i need to patch ROMs before i play them because a few sites i know of have multiple versions of the game, and i noticed people with different cards saying they need to patch the game (not really sure what patching means, but i understand how to do it)?

The games i Specifically wanna know about is Chrono Trigger, DQIV, DQV, Suikoden and GTA: CHina Town Wars.

As For the Versions i wanted to know which is the correct one to get, I;ve Seen (EUR), (USA) and (U). Since im from North America I thought the Logical answer would be (USA) but I'm honestlly not sure.

Lastly, I will be picking up a Micro SDHC card today and i wanted to know if there is a specific card that is known to work the best with the Cyclo or if all cards do the same job regardless of class ? FYI i was looking into getting a 4gb or 8gb card.

2. linkje

Newcomer linkje Advanced Member

Netherlands
    if your a heavy gamer get 8gb or else get 4gb
    chrono trigger and gta have piracy detection you dont need o patch but you need to activate a cheat
    so that it works

3. afterburn999
    OP

Canada
    I'm Definately not a heavy gamer but its only a 10 dollar difference between the 8gb and the 4gb.

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Depends which card you're getting...given that all the different flash carts don't like large size MicroSD's of lower classes, i'd recommend a Class 6 4Gb card.

Doesn't matter which region ROM you choose of those ...just pick the one which is smallest.

And regarding patching..no you shouldn't need to do anything with the latest Cyclo firmware, although there are inconsistencies around GTA:CTW. If you're having trouble you may need to swap out the arm9 file.

5. afterburn999
    OP

Canada
    I picked up two 4gb class 6 micro sd cards, one is a Patriot and the other is A-data. Which one do you think i should use for my Cyclo. The other one i'll just put in my cell.

6. PGdude

Newcomer PGdude Member

United Kingdom
    Check out the MicroSD card thread that I made, somebody made a post linking to some speed testing software downloadable on GBAtemp.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147825

Of course, the faster the better, for the DS. Or your phone, whatever you prioritise [​IMG]

7. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Run your cards through hdtach

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index...?request=HdTach

What you should be looking for above all else is the lowest (Fastest) random access time. Forget read/write, just about all good branded cards pass those requirements, however random access times are still dodgy in batches of the best of cards. Also the more shit on your card the slower the random access speed will be.

Why is it important? Just about every whiz bang feature the cyclods evo touts takes place in the enhanced menu. Real time save, in game text reader, soft reset... its all there and the response time of this menu relies ENTIRELY on the random access speed of your sd card.

I have a class 6 transcend and when its more than 2/3rds full the enhanced menu can take MORE THAN 20 SECONDS to come up the first time I access it within a game. Stop and count that out and now imagine waiting that length of time to load a real time save or soft reset.

Random access time is not listed on the box, and the store wont generally let you test it before you buy it, its hit and miss and even the best of brands have shitty batches.

8. jordanqu

Newcomer jordanqu Member

Australia
    What he wants to know u all arent answering. 99.99% of games run on the Cyclo wont need to be patched. It does this automatically.