Question about plailect 3ds guide

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Pepitito0, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Pepitito0
    OP

Pepitito0 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2016
    United States
    i realized the 3ds guide has magnet links but aren't they illegal?

2. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    The files are copyrighted, and thus it is illegal to use them. However no one has been charged for this - and these are not the type of files big companies are interested in charging you for.

The dangerous things to torrent are new tv shows, blockbuster movies, big name music etc.

Also, magnet links aren't inherently illegal, but yes these files are illegal.

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Firmware files are a legal grey area. Yes, they're copyrighted, but they're also distributed for free from Nintendo's own servers. Bottom line is you're safe downloading them.

btw - congrats on spelling plailect right :P
    (check out the link in my sig showing how others fared)

Last edited by zoogie, Apr 27, 2017
    Quantumcat and x65943 like this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Actually they fall under more a "grey area" because technically Nintendo does not actually encrypt them. You can actually download those files straight from the Nintendo servers.
    They do contain copyrighted code, but the lack of proper security makes them legally questionable.

If they required an account or payment method, that would be different.

x65943 likes this.
  5. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Just because you can obtain the copyrighted files easily, does not mean that they are in a gray area. After all, simply distributing files that are provided free of charge without consent of the copyright holder is illegal.

What may be in a gray area is how much you could be fined for your offense - the legality of the matter is firmly: illegal.

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Expect they are still distributed by Nintendo. If Nintendo really wanted to press it, they really wouldn't get very far in an actual court because they are the ones distributing the files in the first place. Yes, the code is copyrighted, but they still have to defend why they didn't even bother to protect it in the first place.

7. x65943

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    You're missing the point. The magnet links that OP is talking about are not distributed by Nintendo. You could say it was in a legal gray area if you were using NUS to obtain the files, but using p2p to share the files is illegal.

OrGoN3 and Quantumcat like this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.
    But Nintendo is never going to push this one because it's not worth their time.

OrGoN3, KingpinSlim and x65943 like this.
  9. KingpinSlim

KingpinSlim Newbie

I love that Futurama-reference.

OrGoN3 likes this.
  10. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    I can't see Nintendo winning either. The files are on a public-facing server that doesn't require authentication to access or download from. I'm not going against anyone and saying this is legal, because it's not, but I just can't see them winning that case easily. Probably settle out of court as it is a violation of copyright.

11. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    For the most part, even your ISP doesn't give a rats ass when using P2P to download, it's when you seed them or provide the files yourself that you have to worry about getting caught. On that note, the most that will happen to the average user is your ISP will send you a C&D telling you to delete the copyright content within 24 hours and may lock your service in the meantime. That's one reason people use VPNs, but in my personal experience moving the file from the original download location counts as "deleting" it.

I used to get caught all the time back in the Napster/Kazaa days.... Oh LimeWire, how much trouble you almost got me in. Lol

Quantumcat and OrGoN3 like this.
  12. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    It's actually the law that they must provide you with a full 24 hours to destroy the copyright content. This is in part why streaming is a gray area: you aren't uploading/sharing and you aren't keeping anything. In most cases your ISP cannot scan your computer to see if the copyright material is still on there or not.

Majickhat55 likes this.
  13. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Which is exactly why moving the file works :D. I had no idea it was law they had to give you 24 hours though, I just knew they always did Lol.

OrGoN3 likes this.
  14. Beakershell

Beakershell Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2017
    Malaysia
    lol wtf man, you have a collection of "pilac's guide" spelling fail xDD

zoogie likes this.
  15. tnecniv43208

tnecniv43208 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2016
    Taiwan
    How about aeskeydb.bin? When it's slot0xXxkeyXx it's illegal, but shared as aeskeydb.bin on the guide, or are there differences between the two

16. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    lol at that . . . but you/they forgot "Palicat" Problems with Luma 3ds on my Nintendo 2ds

17. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    ihaveamac, Quantumcat and wormdood like this.
  18. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I once got a DMCA notice for an unreleased NIN bootleg that was paused indefinitely on my torrent list. Music they won't release, but still own the rights to.

Also, Trent is a scab.

19. Pepitito0
    OP

Pepitito0 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2016
    United States
    Ok thank you everyone for helping me

x65943 likes this.