Question about phat PS3s and CFW

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by NoSoul81, Feb 17, 2017.

1. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    So I was considering buying a phat PS3 on Gamestop in the hopes that i could hack it as they sell them for just $39.99 used. Just to make sure I have this correct any phat should be able to be downgraded if it's above 3.55? And if i'm lucky and it's below 3.55 I could hack it right of the bat? Just making sure I understand correctly.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Feb 17, 2017
  2. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    You have 7 days to return any used games/consoles at GameStop, so if it's not the right firmware, just return it. Keep your receipt!

TherealDarknes and NoSoul81 like this.
  3. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    So I ended up ordering one from Gamestop.com and it came in today. It's on 4.81. Does anyone know if they upgrade the firmware on all of them before they ship it? Wondering if it's worth it to try to exchange it or not. Otherwise, how would I go about doing a downgrade? Is it costly? It is easy enough to do on my own? Does anyone do them here? It's a fat original model PS3.

4. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    First of all if you think you will be lucky enough to get a 3.55 console, you'll be disappointed very quickly.
    3.55 is a firmware from 2010. So you would have to buy a 7 years old used console, which is pretty impossible.
    I don't know if they upgrade them before shipping but I can guarantee you that a downgrade isn't free.
    In fact if you want to downgrade from 4.81 you'll need an e3 flasher/ and you'll need to open up your console (brick risk if you do something wrong).
    There is NO way to downgrade software-wise. All the websites that claim it are fake/malwares.

Is it worth it, though?

I don't think so. The games for PS3 are really cheap nowadays + The ban risk is really high when you go online with cfw.

5. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I realize it wouldn't be free. Some people do it on Ebay for $30-$40 I just noticed. I already have every PS3 game that I want for the most part I just want to have them digitally where I can switch between games without switching discs. It's something I have for 360, PS2, Wii and Wii U already. I'm also not really that big on playing online just into offline gaming so it's something I would like.

6. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    If they can do it for you and you're ready to spend the money for it - go ahead :)

NoSoul81 likes this.
  7. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Yeah plus I also have a slim that I'll keep for online gaming. Can your game discs be ripped to external hdd once your PS3 is on CFW?

8. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Yes

9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I usually went to Pawn Shop and asked them if I can test PS3 myself. That's how I discovered it was on 3.41 and we purchased it right away. It was about 6 years ago, I think. We still have the same PS3 now. Loving it!

10. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Well there was one on Ebay I was about to use but he was trying to circumvent Ebay and charge me extra on the side so I reported him. Still looking for someone that can downgrade a NOR PS3 Fat Model number CECHP01. I'm willing to pay just not get ripped off.

11. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    That's awesome, I'm pretty sure now though most of the ones I'd try would be way above 3.55 and they won't keep hooking up consoles for me until I find one.

12. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Just return your PS3, and buy one from eBay for 80$ With preinstalled 3.55, like I did. Works perfectly to this date.

13. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
  14. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
  15. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Yeah usually consoles always drop in value but I guess the fact that only certain PS3s can only be hacked on certain firmware has increased their value despite the fact that it's practically dead. Oh well, I might just stick to using discs for PS3 or be patient til I find a deal.

16. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Well looks like instead of giving up I got someone that's going to downgrade the fat I have for $29.99 free return shipping on Ebay. He'll make like $15 or less so I don't get it but I figure it's worth a shot. I've heard sometimes fats don't act right after downgrades though oh well I guess I'll see what happens.

Also ordered a 1.5 tb external hdd from Ebay by Newegg Ebay has a coupon for $10 off $50 and it's $54.99 so I ended up paying $44.99.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Feb 25, 2017
  17. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    That's true.. But just ask them what you are looking for and they would be happy to find one.

18. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I went ahead and shipped off my fat PS3 to be downgraded to someone on Ebay. I always feel like maybe my local post office overcharges or something. It was too big to go in a large flat rate box so I had to use my own box they charged me $24.05, and that wasn't even Priority that was Ground, Priority was $28, and that was without insurance or anything extra. The guy I'm sending it to charged me $29.99 and he is paying for return shipping, he would lose money on Ebay fees etc... if he had to pay $24.05. I don't get it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You have to hook up the console to a TV to know the firmware, they aren't going to continually hook up consoles until I found one on 3.55 or less. Maybe where you live but not where I live.

19. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    It was 6 years ago and many PS3 was under 3.55. That's why they hooked one up and it was already on 3.41 right away. Good thing for me. But right now.. many PS3 are update to the latest one and became harder to find the right one. Yeah, you are right. They are not going to check everything for you. I hope you find one. :)

NoSoul81 likes this.
  20. NoSoul81
    OP

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Like I said I'm sending my fat to be downgraded. Just hope there isn't stability issues as I've heard that happens sometimes when you downgrade fats.

azoreseuropa likes this.