Question about Metal Gear Solid

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by The Composer, Dec 24, 2011.

Dec 24, 2011
  1. The Composer
    OP

Member The Composer GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    In this Xmas, I bought MGS1 (PSN Store), MGS HD Collection and also MGS4 to play them on my PS3.

I also have a PSP, so I can play Portable Ops. As you can notice, I can play every canon game of the series.
    The question is:

¿Should I follow the date release order to play the games or should I play them by story/chronological order?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Probably release date. Earlier games in the franchise will establish characters and the universe while the prequels will expand on them.

Also completely off topic but there's the MGS Digital Graphic Novel if you want the MGS story without playing the game. Very well drawn and a nice read.

3. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Play release order if you aren't familiar with all the twists and turns. If you are then it's totally up to you. The story is obtuse enough not to matter much.

4. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    IIRC, Portable Ops isn't Canon, is it?

Also, the story stops making sense around MGS4. Also if you want to go insane, you can try for the other divergent Kojima Storylines such as Snatcher.

If you look for them you can find the connections between pretty much all his story-based games.

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    It makes sense, it's just complex as crap and to fully understand it you'll need to play every game, excluding the NES Metal Gears 1+2 (You have to play the MSX ones) and the PSP titles (as far as I know).