Hardware Question about HDD

Ali3n90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am looking to buy a Ps4 and ran into an ad which states that the console over heats and that the HDD is corrupted. How hard is it to replace the HDD and repaired the over heating? Is it worth my time?

The console is for sale for $50

Thanks!

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing HDD is easy, just pop it out, put a new one in and reinstall the firmware.

overheating is usually a thermal paste thing, so if you’re comfortable stripping the entire thing down to just the CPU and the mobo, some good quality fresh paste should fix it up providing its not damaged in anyway.

Reactions: Ali3n90

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Replacing HDD is easy, just pop it out, put a new one in and reinstall the firmware.

overheating is usually a thermal paste thing, so if you’re comfortable stripping the entire thing down to just the CPU and the mobo, some good quality fresh paste should fix it up providing its not damaged in anyway.

Overheating can also be caused by dust, I know of a couple of laptops which had their overheating fixed by simply cleaning the exhaust vent.

Reactions: KiiWii

Ali3n90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Beauty! How do I know what firmware to install? Im hoping its running fw 7 or lower.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Beauty! How do I know what firmware to install? Im hoping its running fw 7 or lower.

IIRC has to be the same or higher as was currently installed.

I can’t remember if during installation it will say what is currently installed, so you could put on the usb stick a low firmware and see what it says.

Here’s the official instructions, just make sure to avoid putting newer firmware on the USB stick:
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps4-upgrade-hdd/

One thing to add, I would first try the HDD in a computer and test it with the HDD makers utility. Because if it’s just “corrupt” and isn’t actually faulty, it may be you just need to reformat and reinstall the firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show