Question about hacking

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Skorch, Nov 19, 2011.

Nov 19, 2011

Question about hacking by Skorch at 7:51 PM (1,082 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    I'm thinking of getting a psp, but I was wondering, what exactly would I need to do to be able to play psp roms on a psp? I know a ds needs a flashcart, but not sure what a psp would use (if anything). Thanks.

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    You just need a memory card.

3. Ravte

Member Ravte GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Games range from 100mb to 1.6GB (one upcoming game is reported to be 2x1.6gb) so you'd better get a 2gb or more space in that memory stick. ( I'd suggest over 8gb, mine has 32gb and I've made it to be an handheld cinema. :D)
    Other than that, you just need to install a custom firmware and download the games.

4. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    Ah nice, thanks. What kind of memory stick would you recommend?

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Irrespective of the size you choose (i use a 4GB stick myself...) the best choice is the Sandisk Ultra II Pro Duo range. There are alternatives which are cheaper but they're less reliable and/or slower. Whatever you do, do NOT use a MicroSD adapter as your main stick of choice (a la the Photofast adapter some will recommend). They're unreliable and slower than a normal Pro Duo.

Best bet for a new user is probably an 8GB Sandisk Ultra II which gives a good amount of size and reliably good speeds (both read and write)

6. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    Alright, I got a psp 3000 now, it came with system software version 6.39. Now what would I need to do to play roms on it? I'm a bit worried of messing up and bricking it.

7. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Follow this guide to hack you psp.

I recommend you just update to 6.60 OFW and then hack using 6.60PRO-B10 fix1 (there's a filetrip link provided in the guide, but I don't know if that's the fixed version, so DL it from the official google codes link). You can find out how to update to 6.60 ofw and install 6.60PRO-B. You can downgrade to 6.20 and hack it with permanent patch, but temporary only makes a difference of ~5 seconds during cold-booting, so you'll be fine without perma. There's no difference between 6.20 and 6.60 except permanence.

For ISOs, create a folder in the root of your memory stick and name it ISO. place all of your ISO/CSO in there and they'll appear under game > memory stick on the XMB.

8. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    Ok I downloaded the 6.60 official firmware from here like the guide said. Then it says to "Place the UPDATE folder into /PSP/GAME/ on your memory stick (or the Go's internal storage)". But the only thing inside the zip is a file named "EBOOT.PBP" so I don't know what to do. The guide also mentions that unless the system started with 6.20, downgrading to 6.20 will brick it.

9. Ravte

Finland
    Eboot.pbp is the format for all PSP homebrew/software/PSX games. So just place the update folder in ms0:/PSP/Game (ms0 is the root of your memory stick)

Your PSP will brick if you forcefully try to downgrade it past what it came out with, altho there is a newly found method to go even beyond this, but it gets pretty complicated, I'd advice just ignoring it.

If you're unsure whether or not you'll brick your console by downgrading to 6.20, an safe option is to grab the 6.60 LFCW (Light CustomFirmWare) found in Rydians guides here in GBAtemp.
    Since 6.60 is the latest update it works on all models and motherboards + with light/lite firmware you can always just delete the firmware afterwards and install an permanent cfw instead if you want.

The only difference between LFCW and permanent CFW is that everytime you cold boot the PSP (turn off the power completely by keeping the power slider down for more than 4 seconds) you have to run a launcher to get the CFW back on.
    This takes around 7 seconds to do, and it can be totally avoided by putting the PSP into sleep/standby mode(quickly push the power slider up and keep it there for a second or so) instead of turning it off. So you don't have to run the launcher program again.

E* For 6.60 CFW you can choose between either the Pro B series or the ME series. They don't differ much from each other, people tend to favor Pro for being more stable out of the two.

10. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    Whenever I try and unzip the file from http://filetrip.net/g35132300-SIGNED-6-60-PRO.html or http://code.google.com/p/procfw/downloads/detail?name=660PRO-B10.fix1.rar&can=2&q= I get "Error:Access is denied". Thanks for all the help so far.

11. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Connect your psp via usb and go to PSP\GAME (if there's no such directories in the ms, create them). Then, create a folder and name it UPDATE in there. After doing so, place the EBOOT.PBP inside that UPDATE folder you just created. Disconnect from your computer and go to Game > Memory Stick (on the psp) and launch the updater to update to 6.60 OFW.

As for not being able to extract the contents, I had no problems, so I don't see why you're unable to extract. Maybe you could specify which program you're using? I used WinRAR and 7-zip: both worked.

12. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    I'm using winzip pro, but I got it working, thanks.

13. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    I have got a few more questions. I am using the 6.60 pro temp cfw

What video formats can the psp play?

How do I use a custom theme? I have tried using this guide but I don't think it works without a permanent cfw.

14. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    For custom themes, use this guide (it's at least a little more up-to-date than Devin's guide). Also includes DL link for every firmware.

The psp can play x264 (.mp4 format) files on 480x272 or 720x480 resolution (I don't know if 720x480 can be played without vdeo output though; I never tested them on the psp). You can use some homebrew media players like pmplayer advance (homepage and google codes page) to play other formats, but only at the specified resolution(s).

15. Skorch
    OP

Newcomer Skorch Member

Canada
    Thanks, I seem to have another problem, how do you enable the VSH menu? I also had to create the VSH.txt file in seplugins if that matters.

16. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Press select and you'll see the VSH menu. It's enabled by default when you hack. VSH.txt is for enabling plugins that affect the XMB (the psp's interface), like CXMB.

17. Ravte

Finland
    If you're going to convert your ripped movies from whatever format to PSP fitting one, keep in mind that PSP uses the same format as Ipod, so you can look for torrents converting programs meant for the Ipod. Of course you could just use a program designated for PSP converting - Winff or Xvid4PSP.