Question about DSi games

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by The Composer, Aug 11, 2010.

Aug 11, 2010

Question about DSi games by The Composer at 6:28 PM (1,368 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. The Composer
    OP

Member The Composer GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    From what I know, if you have a DSi (or DS enhanced game) you can't play it on a DSi (or DSiXL) that is from a different region. You have to have the game and the system of the same region to play.

With the upcoming Pokemon games, some people won't be able to play the japanese versions. Whether they import and use backups, since it's the JAP release, it will be useless in US handhelds.

My question is: is there any patch, fix or workaround to play different region games here?

2. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the dsi/xl is region locked,which means it can only play games from what ever region you got it from.on a flash cart the region means nothing,you can run any region on a flash cart.and the only way is a flash card and the rom.

3. tuddy666

Member tuddy666 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Pokémon Black and White will be, to my knowledge, not DSi-enhanced titles, so an original cartridge will run on any DS model (including the DSi and XL), regardless of region (the DSi's region locking only applies to DSi-only games, and DSi enhanced carts). If I'm wrong, then people who are importing a Japanese cartridge, but own a DSi, will just have to run a backup copy on a flashcart, or use a phat/lite.

But, since the game isn't out for another... month or so, just wait and see. I highly doubt the game will be a DSi exclusive, however, so don't worry about that.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    They ARE DSi enhanced, but you can still play them; just without the enhanced features.

5. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    The DSi and XL are region locked in a way that you can ONLY download DSiware from that specific shop in that specific part of the word.
    Of course retail cartridge compatible with DSL do work anywhere as they should.
    Flashcarts of course change all that, but AFAIK DSiware games are still not creaked and there is no wad installer for the DSi because apparently NOBODY cares to hack the DSi mode ( I call it incapable of doing it, but some don't like to admit to be defeated, ever )

6. Silent Storm

Member Silent Storm GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Not just DSiware, but DSi enhanced titles like The Sonic Collection bought in the US will not work on a European DSi, but would on any region DS lite without the enhanced features the DSi would get.

7. The Composer
    OP

Member The Composer GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    So if I import the JAP game, I can play the backup rom on my USA DSiXL?

8. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Yes, if it is DSi enhanced. But you cannot utilize DSi feature since it is played on DS mode.

9. Silent Storm

Member Silent Storm GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I was under the impression that the games don't load at all if played on a different region dsi.

If it doesn't allow DSi features, but still runs then I am ok with that.