Question about DS roms.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by c_house, Feb 27, 2010.

Feb 27, 2010

Question about DS roms. by c_house at 2:46 PM (1,090 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. c_house
    OP

Member c_house GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know it's legal to have roms of games you own, but what about games you have the rom for that you traded in before?

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Still not allowed.

3. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Its not legal to have any roms even if you own them [​IMG]
    But nobody really gives a damn.. well nintendo does but we dont care

4. c_house
    OP

Member c_house GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh, I thought it was legal to backup your own games, but still anyway, like you said no one cares.

5. KevinJRussell

Newcomer KevinJRussell Newbie

United States
    The law is contradictory. You are allowed to make backups, but copies are illegal. Until a case goes to court where someone gets sued for having mp3s of albums they own or something like that, it'll never be decided for sure.

6. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    xD
    Nintendo: You illegaly have files on your flashcart, without actually owning them.
    You: No, I owned them all but I traded them after a while.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    And, of course, nintendo forbids it.

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The law differs from country to country. Some countries allow you to backup and use your own purchased media (whether it be games, music, movies, etc). Others don't.

As for the question at hand, no, it's not technically legal. You no longer own the game and thus you now own an illegal copy of it.

9. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    You know, I think people have been debating the legality of "backups" since the days when home cassette recording devices (either audio or video, I'm not 100% positive which came first) hit the market. Have you ever made a mixtape? Technically that's a violation of the copyright.

Also, several of the earlier computer/game systems (which ones escapes me at the moment--sorry) actually used tape cassettes for their games (the thought boggles my mind, but apparently they recorded audio binary on them), and one of the companies had the boneheaded idea of broadcasting freeware over radio stations, informing the listeners to push the record button on their radio/tape decks after a certain sound, after which the software's signal was broadcast. It took about three seconds for people to realize that with dual tape decks they could just as easily dub and distribute programs that were NOT free, usually through bulletin board systems.

Therefore internet piracy is pretty much as old as the "Record" button on a tape player. And how many people have actually been arrested for the act over the past 40 or so years it's existed? Yeah, they're not going to go hunting for the little roms you keep on your card.

*NOTE: Choconado does not advocate the cool, cool crime of internet piracy.

10. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    Depends on law.

Just as (funny to me even) sidenote, in Finland it is legal to make a copy of a media for someone in your close family circle, and even a GOOD FRIEND is counted in that legally.

Of course, people still do not actually copy stuff for friends much, but it IS legal here... Weird even to me.

11. stuffnflufff

Member stuffnflufff GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I can upload AND download ROMs LEGALLY. Canada`s Supreme Court ruled it out as a `file`and that it should be free to the public if available. So basically in Canada, we do drugs and download sh!t. if you get caught with marijuana here, its a slap on the wrist. in the US, jail for a year. (I dont do any type of drug, and never have, just saying). Anything goes up here [​IMG]

12. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    The only legitimate use of flash cards is for homebrew. Thats why I only use datel's games and music.