Question about burning fuses

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by mugendc4, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    That wont work with autoRCM. It will just turn itself back on again. To get a true power off you have to do it from one of the bootloaders. I use hekate when I want to really power it off. Since it stays in my dock most of the time I just use sleep mode. Never had a power drain issue

2. Tekimoto

Tekimoto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    Austria
    Guys I have another problem now.I want to update from 4.1 to 5.1 but I think I cant to this with my sd card since its 64 gb and 4.1 doesnt support exfat. I also want to backup my nand .Any ideas?

3. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    so it's worse than I thought. If you're the only one using the switch it might be easy to keep it in check but when there's multiple users I'd imagine it's a nightmare. either way i've stayed away from autorcm. I don't mind using a jig every once in a while and now that i use an hdd to install new nsp's I rarely have to turn off the console.

4. ceycey

ceycey Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2019
    Germany
    Hi @All
    Can someone explain in what situation my switch is:

- I had a hackable Switch on 7.0.0.
    - Loaded AMS with fuse primary on a SX dongle
    - Downgraded to 6.2.0. through ChoidujourNX with AutoRCM option and without system initialize option
    - Now using SX OS on 6.2.0. - everything is working fine and AutoRCM is enabled

These are my questions:
    Are any fuses burned at this point?
    Can I ever disable AutoRCM without burning fuses?
    Should I - regarding this fuse burning issue - create an Emunand of 6.2.0. and update sysNand to 7.0.1. normally through OFW?

5. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Your fuses are already burnt to 7.x. that's why after downgrading you have to autorcm (or rcm) to boot.

Read this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-stop-downgrading-unless-you-know-what-youre-doing.531861/

6. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Short answer is No

Long answer is you can disable AutoRCM but make sure you always cold boot through RCM using a jig and the buttons & it won't burn them, although if you mess this up even once then it will burn them. Also if you've already burned them, then booting normally won't burn any extra.

Every time you boot without RCM it will check to make sure you have the right number burned for the System Software version you have installed and if it's not enough then it burns more.

7. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    He said he was already on 7.0. Fuses are already burnt.

8. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Right, but that doesn't really answer the specific question. I covered that scenario "Also if you've already burned them, then booting normally won't burn any extra." I think people misunderstand what fuses are for, they seem to think they are a punishment thing or only get burned when hacking.

I also didn't want to assume that when he said he had a Switch on 7.0 that it meant that he'd booted into it normally, he may have updated and then gone straight into RCM.

Last edited by smf, Mar 7, 2019
  9. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    What I read in the first page if I’m correct once I loaded my switch with official firmware my fuses get burned. I have 8 burned fuses. I updated a while back from 5.1-6.2 using homebrew to avoid burning fuses at that time, going to check if I have a photo from my 5.1 update. Unfortunately when I was 4.1 when I first got my switch, I updated officially from Nintendo.

10. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    8 burned fuses means you booted 6.2.0 normally.

11. ceycey

ceycey Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2019
    Germany
    After I downgraded I only booted once to CFW with RCM mode.
    So if I get that right I just should leave AutoRCM enabled even if I use Emunand and update sysnand back to 7.0 ?

Sorry this eFuse thing is conFUSEing af to me lol...

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Should probably read this then: https://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-efuses.494404/

One or two things are outdated such as being able to bypass the fuse check which we can do with all current bootloaders.

13. ceycey

ceycey Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2019
    Germany
    Ok thank you for your answers. I will check the threads you posted.

Last edited by ceycey, Mar 8, 2019
  14. ceycey

ceycey Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2019
    Germany
    Okay, so as far as I understand:

currently 9 fuses are burnt because switch was on 7.0.0.
    Creating an EmuNAND of my current 6.2. version and then updating sysNAND to 7.0.1. should not cause any problems for EmuNAND usage and with disabling AutoRCM.

15. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    I know I booted normally, sadly in the end updating without burning fuses meant nothing, well since I updated atmosphere a few days ago, I started using autorcm, before I didn’t because I didn’t like the fact of my switch wasting battery when turned off.

16. Vendo232

Vendo232 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    United States
    Guys If I have updated sysnand to 9.0 and my emunand is on 8.1 will I burn my fuse if I boot again to emunand 8.1?

I`m having hard time understanding the scenario when I would burn my fuses considering SXOS is disabling fuses count so booting with AutoRCM should be fine and when you boot to OFW without RCM you should have always the right amount of fuses. Help me please at what scenario I will burn fuses if I keep both emunand and sysnand with the same FW

17. gierso

gierso Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2014
    Mexico
    Hey hello
    I'm reviving this post but I don't want to create a new one

I'm currently on ofw 8.1 ( with any fused burned because of that )
    I don't have exfat support and I want to do the switch without going to 9.0

I will try updating to the same firmware (8.1 exfat via choidujournx

My question is will this burn additional fuses if accidently booted normally or the ones already burnt count as 8.1 for either version ?

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3 XL mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by gierso, Sep 27, 2019
  18. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    8.1.0 expects 10 fuses to be burned regardless of whether you have the exFat driver installed or not.

If you use choidujournx to re-install 8.1.0 with exFat, you will not burn any additional fuses.

gierso likes this.
  19. gierso

gierso Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2014
    Mexico
    Thanks a lot !

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3 XL mediante Tapatalk

20. Vendo232

Vendo232 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2013
    United States
    if I have sysNand on 9 am I going to burn fuses if I boot into 8.1 emunand using SXOS?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted