Hacking Question about backwards compatibility

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on getting a ps3 hacked and running. My question is - in a perfect world, would the backward compatible models be preferred over the others? or is that not needed anymore? Also if it is, how do I know which ones are backwards compatible? Just all "phat" models?

How many external hard drives and space can the ps3 handle? Standard 2tb external? more?

thanks!

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
early phat ps3 models are recomended if you want to use a ps2 disk and play it, while the rest of them (late phat ps3/slim/super slim) can only do software emulation for the ps2 which can't use the disk, and ps1 emulation is on all ps3 (disk/software).

there is an old post about hdd size for ps3 hope it helps: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps3-hard-drive-size-limit.356865/

Last edited by Darksabre72,
Reactions: Seffo182

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
early phat ps3 models are recomended if you want to use a ps2 disk and play it, while the rest of them (late phat ps3/slim/super slim) can only do software emulation for the ps2 which can't use the disk, and ps1 emulation is on all ps3 (disk/software).

there is an old post about hdd size for ps3 hope it helps: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps3-hard-drive-size-limit.356865/
thanks. so looks like about 1tb...

and regarding the backwards compatibility, what if I just want to run backup isos of ps2 games? Does the type of ps3 not matter at that point? or do the backwards compatibility models still do it better?

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the type of ps3 won't really matter since all hacked ps3 can allow you run ps2 isos, but all of them will have compatibility issues of games due to software emulation. so early phats do it better by using hardware not software emulation so you can use a disk and have more ps2 games to run on it.

brollikk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the type of ps3 won't really matter since all hacked ps3 can allow you run ps2 isos, but all of them will have compatibility issues of games due to software emulation. so early phats do it better by using hardware not software emulation so you can use a disk and have more ps2 games to run on it.

i see. Looks like I would probably prefer the backwards compatible version then. Do you know if it's possible to switch out the internal hard drive and also use an external hard drive for like 2tb total space? or no?

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see. Looks like I would probably prefer the backwards compatible version then. Do you know if it's possible to switch out the internal hard drive and also use an external hard drive for like 2tb total space? or no?
well you can switch the internal hdd for a better one, and use a external with an internal at the same time though they won't combine to add more space to the console, but just make sure you backup you're data for your internal hdd if you're planning to upgrade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F