Android Question about android cellphone.

Dymlos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I am really new to cellphones and I have a few questions.

If I buy a cellphone running on Android and I don't subscribe to any cellphone plans, would I be able to go online on my cellphone using my home wireless network?
Is there an app on Android to run MSN?
Anyone could recommend me some choices for android cellphones? I would mostly use it for MSN (if there are any MSN apps) and Kongregate Arcade app.

Thanks in advance.

Dymlos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So this mean I could basically use the internet browser, the android store and all the apps I get in the store using my home network and use my phone as a portable MSN device in my house without subscribing to any cellphone plan? Sorry for asking again, I just want to be sure because this is a big purchase for me.

Oh and what is the latest version of Android? I don't want to buy a too much outdate phone.

Thanks alot.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Yes, you don't even need a SIM card inside to use it as a smartphone or handheldntablet.

The latest version of Android is 3.1, which to my knowledge is only available on the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. The latest version for smartphones is 2.3 (gingerbread). If the phone is fully routable, you can just install a custom ROM for it, such as the latest version of CyanogenMod. Don't worry so much on what version of android it has, just the specs it has.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to use Messenger/internet while you're out and away from any WiFi networks though, you will need a data connection, obviously, but in range of your home connection you'll be fine.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
There are plenty of instant messaging applications on Android. Many merge a bunch of instant messaging services, like Messenger, AIM, Skype, Facebook, etc., for extra convenience. All Android devices are fully capable of operating without a contract or a SIM card, though you'll be receiving notifications of that when you boot up. Wi-fi connectivity is a standard for smartphones today.

As for recommended choices, it really depends on your budget, and your location. You're in Canada, so if you buy straight from the carriers, there's a bit of a limit to the range of devices. Rogers Wireless recently came out with their Xperia Arc (my current phone, love it), and Xperia Play. Both are fantastic devices, and run the latest software (Android 2.3 Gingerbread). The Xperia Play has a nice bonus of seconding as a PSP, if you're into that kind of stuff. Telus gives you some options with the HTC Desire HD (though the battery life is iffy), as well as the popular Samsung Galaxy S series. Bell has a good range of phones, including the dual-core processor Motorola Atrix. Another option could be the HTC Incredible S. All major carriers carry the Google Nexus S, which runs the stock Android operating system, and is quite snappy. Most of these phones without contracts will cost you $500 or more. There are some more 'budget' phones out there, like the Acer Liquid E or HTC Wildfire S, but honestly, I don't think they're worth it.

Looking outside the major carriers and onto the online retailers, you get a much better variety. Samsung's recently released Samsung Galaxy S II is extremely popular, though runs at over $700 without taxes. HTC came out with their HTC Sensation dual-core phone just a couple of days ago, and it costs significantly less for a similar experience.

Originality said:
The latest version of Android is 3.1, which to my knowledge is only available on the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. The latest version for smartphones is 2.3 (gingerbread). If the phone is fully routable, you can just install a custom ROM for it, such as the latest version of CyanogenMod. Don't worry so much on what version of android it has, just the specs it has.
Clarifying a few things. The latest version of Android for tablets is 3.1 Honeycomb, and it is available for devices like the Motorola Xoom already. All new smartphones should be running 2.3 Gingerbread, so there isn't a need to worry unless you're picking up an old device. Even so, they should be running 2.2 Froyo, and nothing before that.

Rooting (not routing) is kind of like a jailbreak, though more complex in a way. It gives you, basically, Administrator access to your phone, letting you flash ROMs, run advanced tasks, and even operate certain Linux codes.

Dymlos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you very much everyone for your help and suggestions.

I got myself a Samsung Nexus S and it's working perfectly.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Terminator02 said:
well this is interesting, android phones not attached to carriers are generally quite expensive, i don't understand why you didn't just get an ipod touch
Because he wants Android? DERP.

As suggested in this thread, you should of got a tablet. I'm pretty sure some apps block phones without a SIM card inserted.

Either way, enjoy your new Android!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Terminator02 said:
i'm saying an ipod touch would be a hell of a lot cheaper and still do what he wants
Not if he wants to use widgets.
[tn=100]http://pix.gbatemp.net/151372/trollface.jpg[/tn]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk