Hardware Question about: AMD Threadripper

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never thought i would look for an AMD chip... I SWEAR i never thought about this.

I ask you guys about it now.
what are your thpughts on it?
do you guys have any experience with it?
Is it stable? ...

i would like to read somethibg of your thoughts! :toot:

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Yup Threadripper seems to be quite the cpu. Ryzen has had a few months to mature. Go for it if you need the threads at 90-95% of intel's IPC.

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never thought I would look for an AMD chip... I SWEAR I never thought about this.

I ask you guys about it now.
what are your thoughts on it?
do you guys have any experience with it?
Is it stable? ...

I would like to read something of your thoughts! :toot:
It makes me happy to see competition in the market again! Note: Keep in mind that my thoughts on Threadripper are based on Linux.

I am thinking about maybe getting a 1950X in the future. My goal is to have a development machine that has both a Windows and Mac virtual machine (with Linux running as the host). I also plan to passthrough a physical GPUs to each VM.

While Threadripper is mostly stable, there are two software bugs when using Threadripper on Linux.
These bugs stop me from wanting to buy Threadripper without question. On Intel (the i9-7900X in particular), none of these bugs are present at all.

So I am currently waiting for these bugs to be fixed, otherwise, I may have to go with Intel instead (sigh).

Last edited by CuriousTommy,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've gone with AMD several times, and every time they've overheated my laptops to DEATH. Like mid-game, they burn up and DIE!

I don'ty think I'll be straying from my i7 6700 (non-K) any time soon, but I might buy a motherboard with a moddable BIOS to allow overclocking, and overclock on air. (I keep an ambient temp of 61 degrees F)

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you're going to be doing major content creation, theeadripper is not for you. If you plan on gaming, go with a ryzen 1600 or 1600X. That's the sweet apt of the ryzen CPU line.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've gone with AMD several times, and every time they've overheated my laptops to DEATH. Like mid-game, they burn up and DIE!

I don'ty think I'll be straying from my i7 6700 (non-K) any time soon, but I might buy a motherboard with a moddable BIOS to allow overclocking, and overclock on air. (I keep an ambient temp of 61 degrees F)
That's because 1. Laptops have always been shit for gaming until this past year or two. 2. Amds apu we're always shit. 3. Laptops have the worst air flow and fans for gaming.

Reactions: Deleted User

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Worth it price wise instead of Intel's versions. Performance is very close, but considering the price, better value for money. Still I'd think twice on spending such a big amount on the CPU, but I figure you know what you want if you seriously need CPU power in the range

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheapest cpu atm is 1920x at $800
the x399 mobo starts at around $350
32GB ram you are looking at almost $300

and you still need everything else on top of that, I would probably stick with ryzen if you don't need crazy amount of threads just to do some video editing for home use

Last edited by Joe88,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I make it a point to never buy a CPU that's over $300, and I always end up getting a good one that's not overkill for my needs. I have the i7 6700 (non-K version) and it serves me great.

Last edited by Jayro,

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheapest cpu atm is 1920x at $800
the x399 mobo starts at around $350
32GB ram you are looking at almost $300

and you still need everything else on top of that, I would probably stick with ryzen if you don't need crazy amount of threads just to do some video editing for home use

i ve got everything else except the cpucooler :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: