Hardware [Question] 3DS formatted - is my previous SD card data useless?

Ridge

they/them
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
So due to recent achievements in the hacking community I've been able to downgrade my New 3DS, as well as many others. Although, I formatted my New 3DS before downgrading, which was seemingly the only way it'd work for those as impatient as me.

Now, I didn't have any way of backing up my New 3DS' SysNAND before formatting, but I did back up my SD data in case anything would work. After formatting and downgrading, I did a NAND backup. I've been poking around in it with some tools, but with my current knowledge I'm a little lost. Is there any way I can somehow get my old SD data to work on my new SysNAND, or perhaps an EmuNAND once I install that and spoof it and re-link my NNID to it? Or is it all useless now?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm still (kinda) fresh (and lost).

D

Deleted-236924

It's all useless now. The best you could have done is backup save files before formatting.

Reactions: Ridge

Ridge

they/them
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
It's all useless now. The best you could have done is backup save files before formatting.
Dang, that's what I thought. I have the save files that matter the most though, so thanks for clearing it up for me! I'll just get re-downloading.
Say, do you know if I need to get Nintendo to unlink my NNID from the old NAND or did it get unlinked when I formatted? I had to connect to the internet to format.

Reymon698

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, i am having the same issue just now, so i guess i could ask here instead of making a new thread.
I also formatted the 3DS, and now im having problems trying to use my old data from my old games, its not like the games i lost, i just linked the Nintendo Network account and i can download the games again, but the problem is that my saves that i made a backup of on the PC are not working.
I tried to just replace the save file from my old files to the new save file on the SD card to see if it worked, but as soon as the game started, it told me the save was corrupted and had to be deleted.
Now im just worried because it looks like my game is lost, but i did make a backup of my Nand before formatting, so does that help?

Ridge

they/them
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
Ok, i am having the same issue just now, so i guess i could ask here instead of making a new thread.
I also formatted the 3DS, and now im having problems trying to use my old data from my old games, its not like the games i lost, i just linked the Nintendo Network account and i can download the games again, but the problem is that my saves that i made a backup of on the PC are not working.
I tried to just replace the save file from my old files to the new save file on the SD card to see if it worked, but as soon as the game started, it told me the save was corrupted and had to be deleted.
Now im just worried because it looks like my game is lost, but i did make a backup of my Nand before formatting, so does that help?

Since you did take a NAND backup before formatting, I'd hold on to those saves. It seems to me, judging by the files found in NAND, that you can change some of the files in it to make it accept your old saves. This is really vague, since I'm not 100% sure how it all works yet. But I'm talking about the .db files I read about here: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_Database

Just out of curiosity, what did you format for?

Reymon698

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since you did take a NAND backup before formatting, I'd hold on to those saves. It seems to me, judging by the files found in NAND, that you can change some of the files in it to make it accept your old saves. This is really vague, since I'm not 100% sure how it all works yet. But I'm talking about the .db files I read about here: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_Database

Just out of curiosity, what did you format for?

I was following up some tutorials to install the RXTools and Custom Firmware, however, i was advised to Format to separate the Sysnand from the Emunand since that could cause some issue. Long story short, did a backup of the Nand, removed the SD, formatted and here we are now.

EDIT; No wait, actually, that was the first reason i was going to do it, but dint, the real reason, was because when i was updating the RXcustom firmware, my update dint finished and my 3DS was stuck at an error screen on home. i could at least get into settings and formatt the 3DS

Thanks for the Info about the Nand, i will try to find more information on it to see if i can recover my old saves, if anyone also knows something that could help, it would be apreciated.

Last edited by Reymon698,

Ridge

they/them
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Norway
I was following up some tutorials to install the RXTools and Custom Firmware, however, i was advised to Format to separate the Sysnand from the Emunand since that could cause some issue. Long story short, did a backup of the Nand, removed the SD, formatted and here we are now.

Thanks for the Info about the Nand, i will try to find more information on it to see if i can recover my old saves, if anyone also knows something that could help, it would be apreciated.

Well, if all else fails you can luckily just restore the NAND backup you made and then be able to use your SD data again. What I think you should do tho, is setup EmuNAND and do a system format in EmuNAND. They'll be unlinked then. Although if you're gonna use your NNID in EmuNAND, maybe make an EmuNAND of your SysNAND, then format SysNAND. (Would that work?)

Just use your NAND backup for EmuNAND, you can use the SD content on the EmuNAND then, right?

MiePx3

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey guys,

I do have the exact same problem and already made a thread here: Restore SaveData from eShop titels after CFW install? Themes on emuNAND?.
I do made a NAND Backup and have a exact copy of my SD Card befor formatting it for EmuNAND.

Just use your NAND backup for EmuNAND, you can use the SD content on the EmuNAND then, right?
Im pretty new to all this stuff, so I rather ask befor I do something stupid.
I saw the Decrypt9 thread that has a options to restore Sys- and EmuNAND using a nand.bin file. Should I use this? So using the nand.bin BEFOR formatting to restore my EMUNAND?

Reactions: naddel81

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I do have the exact same problem and already made a thread here: Restore SaveData from eShop titels after CFW install? Themes on emuNAND?.
I do made a NAND Backup and have a exact copy of my SD Card befor formatting it for EmuNAND.

Im pretty new to all this stuff, so I rather ask befor I do something stupid.
I saw the Decrypt9 thread that has a options to restore Sys- and EmuNAND using a nand.bin file. Should I use this? So using the nand.bin BEFOR formatting to restore my EMUNAND?

I would at least try it out.

MiePx3

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would at least try it out.
This is what I did:

Booted sysNAND 9.2
Start Homebrew via browserhax
Start Decrypt9
EmuNAND options
Restore EmuNAND

After that I used my nand.bin to restore my emuNAND. Sadly, that didnt work. After rebooting and let menuhax and rxTools launch, it just boots into menuhax again which just stops doing anything with a red screen at the bottom.

So im restored my EmuNand with a backup of it using Decrypt9.
Still no saves ... :(

Reymon698

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so i just solved the issue, i just used emuNand tool and injected my Nand backup into the Emunand, of course, that means i have to be on the Custom Firmware to see and play my games with its saved data untouched, but its not like that really is a problem

Last edited by Reymon698,
Reactions: Ridge

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so i just solved the issue, i just used emuNand tool and injected my Nand backup into the Emunand, of course, that means i have to be on the Custom Firmware to see and play my games with its saved data untouched, but its not like that really is a problem
Now use svdt to backup your saves and copy them to sysnand.

MiePx3

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wait. How did you manage that? Are you using the "emuNAND Tool v.1.0.3"?

Everytime I try to use that to inject my NAND Backup into my emuNAND I get an Invalid NAND Size Error. D:

Welp, nevermind. I am able to inject my NAND Backup into my emuNAND using v1.0.1. Sadly, same result. Boots into menuhax again and crashes with red screen. Does that mean I have a bad nand.bin?

Last edited by MiePx3,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Now use svdt to backup your saves and copy them to sysnand.
That won't help if he only has the games on emuNAND, but it doesn't matter anyway when autoboot CFW exists.

Wait. How did you manage that? Are you using the "emuNAND Tool v.1.0.3"?

Everytime I try to use that to inject my NAND Backup into my emuNAND I get an Invalid NAND Size Error. D:

Welp, nevermind. I am able to inject my NAND Backup into my emuNAND using v1.0.1. Sadly, same result. Boots into menuhax again and crashes with red screen. Does that mean I have a bad nand.bin?
emuNAND9Tool (it's a homebrew): https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9Tool/releases
If you're on a new 3DS and your sysNAND backup is 9.6+ you can't use it on emuNAND.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

MiePx3

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh, im stupid.
My nand backup wasnt bad. But menuhax was still set up on it.
So after restoring my emuNAND and let rxTools into it, menuhax got triggered again.
So bypassing it and Ive got my stuff back. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: